What manners do you insist that your kids have?

For me I want my kids to be polite to adults and others. To say excuse me and thank you whenever possible is a plus. I am a stickler on table manners too.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a manner freak and have been since my son was a little toddler. The most important one is to RESPECT adults. Also, please and thank you, chew with mouth closed, no slurping, say excuse me when needed. Cover mouth when coughing and sneezing. Oh and IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• please, thank you.

respect their elders (within reason - if that person's being mean then I tell them to do what they think appropriate)

table manners - no using fingers, no rude noises (yeah...girls do it too), wait til everyone is there to say grace, say grace before eating, ask to be excused....

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I am a stickler for respecting your elders. And saying please and thank you. I am also big on not making fun of people. My dh is an ass sometimes and they have heard him make remarks about people that I don't approve of. I also don't let them use mean words-stupid, dumb, idiot etc...
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• oh yeah! no making fun of people! thats a big one for me too.

and the rude words.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son will use his please and thank you's.

He will respect his elders and will call them Ms or Mr so and so, until he is told by that person that there is another name that he can call them

He will learn to be chivalrous

He will learn to use his words as opposed to his reactions to situations
    spase2breeth

Answer by spase2breeth at 6:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• jenree33 same here on the mean words. my dh is a ass too sometimes and he will call people names. One time my neighbor was waving hi to the kids and my son said " Bye Jackass!" yeah that didn't make momma happy at all.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• please and thank you. excuse me instead of butting in on conversations. we have basicly addapted the rules from my daughters school,which are very simple.
    1. be safe
    2. be respectful
    3.be responsible
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Another one i am teaching my son is to open doors for women and to give up his seat.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My one manner rule for now is not to pull my shirt up or down when she wants to nurse lol. I think please is overrated, but thank you is important, I'll insist on that one.

I also think that just because someone is older or in a higher station than you does not mean they automatically deserve respect. So I won't be hardcore on that one either.

I'm kind of anti-manners, I guess.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I always tell my son to " Be Kind and Be a Friend".
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009