how do u get breastmilk to dry up if u cant breastfeed and how long do u think it would take to go away??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ob doc said to take benedryl when i was trying to dry up but it still took 5 days or so.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Why can't you breastfeed?
    Anonymous

• Unless you have a very serious medical condition requireing medication that would harm the baby, if you have milk you can breastfeed.

If you do have a condition or if you don't WANT to breastfeed (which is also okay) then you just leave your breasts alone. If they are very engorged, you wll want to hand espress or pump a little to keep youself comfortable and to stave off mastitis. Otherwise just let it happen. It can take weeks or months for milk to dry up, since your body was designed to breastfeed, but it will go away eventually.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• DO NOT wrap them up whatever you do, it leads to an infection. Do NOT try and express any milk and don't let hot water run on them. Just let them be, take some advil, and wait. It took me about 7 weeks to stop leaking completely.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i couldnt breast feed my first child(i didnt produce enough milk) and so i didnt even try with my second. both times i used the same method to dry up my milk. i wore a tight bra underneath a tight sports bra non stop 24 hrs a day and did not let any water run over my breasts. they get hard as rocks but eventually they soften. also... buy the nursing pads to put in the bra to prevent leak throughs. if they get painful my best tip is to use an icepack but dont take off the bras unless u absolutely have too( i slept in them and everything). my first it took about 2 weeks and my second took more like 6 weeks
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009