Is it just me or do you ladies get nervous holding a gun?

I know I do my dh has this thing where we have to have one in the house for protection bc we never know thank you lord that we live in a decent neighbor hood. I hate when he calls me to pretend I have to hold it and cock it he puts one bullet in it I get so nervous I am like take it away but I know I have to learn. He has even taking me to the shooting gallery even then I get a weird feeling it's like I don't want to deal with it and hope and pray that I will never have to use one. I don't hate guns I just don't like them around me. How can I over come this feeling. I'd rather have a play gun...lol Thank you ladies for listening...I'd love to hear ur story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• why does he put a bullet in it?

I used to go hunting with my husband...I always prayed nothing would come my way cuz I hated shooting the rifle- the kick back hurts me- I am skinny. We went to the driving range once and i hated that- it is loud...I don't getnervous really, I just don't like it
    Anonymous

• Nope, I don't get nervous. Both my parents and my boyfriend all have several guns, and I am constantly being made to go to the shooting range with one or all of them to practice, and we are teaching my boys gun safety and how to fire them.

Nervous isn't good when it comes to using the gun. You either have to find a way to get past it or tell him that you are uncomfortable with it and that you don't want to have anything to do with it. Nervous can get you hurt. If you want to overcome it, my best advice would be to go to the range with it and do some target practice. Safe environment, a target to aim for, and actually firing the gun should help some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I hate guns (i know the saying, "guns dont kill people-people do" but i hate guns my husband is a police officer so I have no choice when it comes to having the gun in the house. He has been talking about getting me one for protection but I would rather have a taser or something.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If your nervous about guns, learn to use it, feel confident about it, take classes on it. Nervousness is not empowering. The gun is not the danger, its the person behind it. If your confident on how to use it, it will not be a danger.
    Anonymous

• I grew up around guns, so no I'm not nervous. We have hunting rifles and shotguns. They are all locked up in our gun cabinet and none are loaded. You can buy be be guns that look real. Maybe that would help you, they look real and would probably scare any indruders.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 7:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I am not nervous at all holding a gun. My boyfriend is a police officer, so having a gun in the house is nothing that bothers me. We also have 2 other hand guns for protection. I have held them lots of times and know how to use them.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I hated that my exhusband made me learn to shoot his gun. It was way too big for me and when we went to the range I would shake and cry. I am a good shot (at targets) but I can't cock one on my own and it made me so nervous I would get sick afterward every time. This is probably one of the early contributing factors to our marriage falling completely apart.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• depends on why. If I'm at the range or out at my uncles were we have it set up to shoot, then no, not at all. transporting it no. someone breaking in? You bet! I'm not trained for that. I just shoot at coke cans and paper targets :)
    Anonymous

• YES! DH wants me to learn to shoot. I have shot a gun a couple times(targets). I don't like it, it makes me uncomfortable.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Nope. My father had guns when I was growing up. They were safely locked away. But he insisted we learn to handle them properly. So I have shot a bunch of different guns from hand guns to small rifles and even a small shot gun. I don't own one and have no desire to have one, but I'm not uncomfortable with them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009