So worried :(

My daughter is 10 and a half months old. Since she got her swine flu shot last Saturday (i'm not sure if its a significant or just random that it happened at the same time) she hasn't been eating very much. She's seriously lost interest in food. She used to wake up every morning and right when she saw me she would yell for a boob. Now its like she can wait until dinner to eat anything, and even then i have to initiate it. I've been trying to feed her.. she's only breast fed twice today and its almost four! She used to be eating two big meals a day, taking a couple bottles, and breast feeding! I've only changed one diaper today... The doctors say not to worry, my mother in law says not to worry.. but it can't be good or natural! Any advice?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 6:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She might have picked up a bug when you were in the clinic to get the shot... those places are germ factorys! I don't think it's from the shot itself.
    I would just keep breastfeeding as often as she will take it... and not worry much about solids at this point, it's more important that she drinks.
    If she starts to show signs of dehydrations... no wet diaper in more than 8 hours, no tears when she crys, dry lips or very lethargic then bring her into the ER.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'd worry keep trying and if she doesn't get better go back to the doctor. I don't trust the H1N1 shot, that's why my daughter didn't get it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I can imagine how you feel but don't worry about it only bc if you think about it it is probably the medicine kicking in she just needs time to get to old self again. As long as she is getting something inside her that should b a good thing. Let the days go by and see how she does. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Mommy first of all you didn't make a bad choice! I didn't get DS the shot, too long of story for why, but it does put a small amount of virus in their blood for them to become immune to it, don't worry offer her something she loves!!! If she has no temp, don't stress, could be teeth or any number of things good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• This may be a nursing strike. I'm not sure why you are giving bottles but for now it would be a good idea to stop. If it is because you are working your baby is old enough to eat solids while you are gone. If you leave breastmilk your baby can drink it from a cup or it can be mixed with food. When you are home you can breastfeed and skip solids.

It's ok if your baby doesn't eat as long as she breastfeeds. She can't go long without doing both. You can find more info about nursing strikes at www.kellymom.com and there are good breastfeeding discussion boards at www.mothering.com.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Get a second opinion call another pedi. When it comes to shots and your child not being the same after them, don't wait call around other Dr.s and see what they tell you, it's better to be safe then sorry. Good luck momma I hope it's nothing.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009