If you were ask to guess what PERCENTAGE of "new moms" exclusively breastfeed in the USA what would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Too low I'm sure. I just did my OB rotation at a hospital in a low income area. roughly 90% of the patients we saw in our few weeks there were formula feeding from the start. Getting WIC to cover the cost. I just don't understand it. These women weren't even attempting to breastfeed. It's sad. Then we went to a higher income area and a good 75% were breastfeeding. It's astounding- the women who can't afford formula are the ones choosing it. (in this experience. I'm not saying all formula feeders are low income).
    Anonymous

• I'd say "who cares".
    Anonymous

• I have no idea and it never occurred to me. It really doesn't matter. Do what you want.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My guess would be.......38%. I have no idea if this is close or not and I didn't do a google search.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Exclusively ... 6%
    But I would say those who primarily breastfeed (and supplement with formula)... maybe around 40%
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would guess that about 65% "try" in the hospital, with maybe 35% being successful and going home with the idea that the baby won't have a bottle.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• In 2003 it was 71% breastfed, 62% exclusive (CDC). It's expected 2009 bf rates will be about 73%. These were the stats that were easy to find.

The people who answered so far are way off! CM seems to be a culture of formula feeding, commercial baby food feeding moms. What's up with that?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• without doing any research i would say something like 28-32%.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 62% exclusive.. very high .. nice number. I was one of those moms t hat didnt' breast feed as a young mom.. but then breast fed my daughter as an older mom. I didn't exclusively though.. i gave bottles whenever out and at mid night feeding. kudos to those who can
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 65%?
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009