Has anyone tried to be a nonmedical caregiver to the elderly?

I see a few companies and though my background is in TV/Radio, I'm home now and this area offers PT work with little experience. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband used to work for whats called IHSS (in home supportive services) taking care of his mom. I dont know if its in every state or not, but its a service we have out here in CA (dont know if its available in all counties either. I do know pay and benefits vary per county.). Its offered through the department of aging. So just look up the department of aging in the government section of your phonebook, inquire about IHSS an tell them you're interested in being a caregiver. No prior experiance required.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I used to be a home health aide supervisor. It's difficult work. I'm looking for someone to help with my parents currently. They don't need a lot of medical experience, but definitely someone to watch what they are doing. Tonite at dinner my dad asked if his pills got all mixed up and I said "no" because I couldn't think of any reason why they would. After dinner, I was getting out his bedtime med and noticed that the morning pills are still in their little box, mom forgot to give them to him today. It's just stuff like that....watching what they are doing and making sure they aren't hurting themselves....another example, dad tried to eat the decorative rocks out of the centerpiece, because he thought they were candy. Difficult, and you need a certain personality to deal with it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My grandmother had one. She came and made sure she ate, took her pills, helped to keep her company, and awake during the day. They played cards and she read to her. She also bathed her and helped her with the bathroom. She was really sweet, she was with my Gandma for years. After she left, the new ones just weren't as good with her. My older sister did that for awhile, she enjoyed it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• OP here: Thanks a lot you guys, some good info and I appreciate it!
    Anonymous