Is Sunday dinner....

Is sunday dinner a religous act of worship? if so, is there biblical text for it? or is it something esle?

I ask because my family never does sunday dinner.. we basically fended for ourselves on the weekends.. i come from a family of catholics. As a muslim i dont' do sunday dinners ....i cook whenever i want. my nephew is chrisitan and said he would be coming here for sunday dinners.. it got me to thinking, and wondering if it has a religious tie?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 7:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IDK. But I do sunday dinners in my house, as I grew up with it. I was raised Christian but am now atheist. I simply like the idea of having a big dinner every sunday. although I cook every day....so not sure what the difference is, LOL!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I can't think of a single passage that would spacifically support Sunday dinner as an act of worship. I suspect if there is any link it is more tradition than theology.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I remember Sunday dinners at grandma's and grandpas.... :) it wasn't religiouly related, just Sunday is a day that no one worked and the families could all get together.... it was a nice weekly event...
    Now it's "What do you guys want for dinner?" around here... ahhh but that was well over 30 yrs ago now...
    Sunday dinners had good memories to them ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think it would go back more to the rules about no labor on Sunday - women would make huge meals on Saturday and have them laid out and ready to go with a sheet on them for when they got home from church on Sunday. (before refrigeration or safe food handling guidelines...) They'd be large enough to feed everyone for the day since they weren't allowed to cook.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my family does sunday dinner cause its the one day of the week we can all get together and eat good food. religion doesn't have anything to do with it. my dad usually cooks and it's delicious :)
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We do Sunday dinners.  For us, it's a long standing British tradition which we modified somewhat when we moved to Canada.  We don't have a roast all year round like we used to because it is way too hot here and we just don't want such a big meal.  We also have our meal at supper time now.  In Britain "dinner time" is midday, and the reason the main meal is at midday on Sunday has probably more to do the restricted opening hours at the Pub, than the Church.  Although the Church is probably the reason for having two hours less drinking time on Sundays.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my family still does a large supper on Sunday & my parents are VERY by the book Christians. but i alway figured it was b/c my parents are die-hard Southerners & thats what they do on Sundays. im pretty sure there isnt a Bible verse about it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Its a traditional thing.. doubt it has to do with the bible .... never heard of it and I was raised by a catholic step mom
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• great.thanks ladies. just thought i'd ask. never know
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We always did huge Sunday dinners at my grandparents after church. It wasn't a religious thing but it was a family thing. Sunday back then was a day very few people worked. Most retailers had limited hours and many places were closed. That is not the case today we have a greedy instant gratification society we have everything open 24/7 now. My family still does the Sunday dinners we rotate houses and it is really nice. We get to catch up on things and my son gets to play with his 19 cousins. We never fend for ourselves in my home we do cook from scratch meals every meal but Sundays are special since all of my family are together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2009