Need moms advice...

My daughter is almost 5 weeks old and ever since she was born she seems to have trouble pooping. It comes out fine, is a proper color and consistency, and is pretty normal. However she SCREAMS bloody murder when she poops and is inconsolable... she gets red and grunts, which is normal, but the screaming just killes me. I brought it up to my doctor and they just shrugged it off and said its normal, ive been around enough newborns to see that babies grunt and get red and my cry a lil, but she screams and cries and gets herself all worked up. But i know she isnt constipated, and when it comes out its runny like normal... any advice, i feel so bad for her!

AlyssaDevonsMom

Asked by AlyssaDevonsMom at 8:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pooping is a strange sensation to them. Mine screamed and cried for every poo until about 6 mos old. I didn't let it bother me because I knew that she would outgrow it. Know she grunts and poos and then lets me know she is out of kix and then we change.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my 6 month old did that for about 2 months just like you said. her doctor didnt seem too worried either, but said give about 2 oz of baby juice or some pedialite would help.
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing as well. It was not fun! We did try Mylicon drops for gas relief and it did seem to help a little
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 8:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son did that as well. It IS normal so don't worry about it. This is what my son's pediatrician told me when I asked her about it. She said that they haven't quite figured out how it all works so when they push, they actually tighten their butthole closed so it ends up not doing anything. That is why they get all red and cry...because they are pushing really hard but nothing is coming out because their little butt is closed. She also said by 2 months old they usually have figured it out. My son cried almost every time he had to poop until he was 2 1/2 months old and now he's fine. Try bicycling her legs and see if that helps. Also we would lay my son on his changing table and kind of spread his butt cheeks open. That helped sometimes too. His pediatrician said you can always take their temp. or stick a Q-tip in their butts just a teeny tiny little bit just to open it. Don't worry! Its normal and she'll figure it out!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• thanks for all the advice, she seriously screams the poo right out, she will be screaming and boom load in the diaper... but its hard to watch and hear at 3am.... im sure my neighbors love me even more, they HATED me before and i can just imagine what they are thinking now, prolly thinking im beating her... lol glad im not the only one with the pooping problem. We are still trying mylicon but they dont seem to help. Someone told me to put prune juice in her bubba but shes not constipated so i dont wanna try that...
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 9:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• hmm glad I read this one. I had never heard of a baby screaming like that when they have normal BM and I have 4 kids. With this new one on the way new info is always good.
    Anonymous

• both of my kids done the same thing my son was the worst about screaming when he was pooping it bothered me to and i took him to 3 or 4 different drs and they all said that it was normal i think he done that till he was about 3 and a half months old
    ashley780

Answer by ashley780 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009