eczema and a 3 month old baby

my son will be 3 months old on the 21st and he has eczema really bad on both of his cheeks. It hasn't been bad up until a couple of days ago. both of his cheeks are bright red and very dry and itchy. we have been using vaseline for about a week in a half now and it doesnt seem to be helping any. we just bought some aveeno lotion it. also, we have mixed hydrocortisone 1 % with lotion but that didnt really help that much either.

we are going to set up a doctors appointment to get it looked at, but right now, i need some advice on what to do to help clear it up.

mommy.of.isaac

Asked by mommy.of.isaac at 8:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's pediatrician recommended Cetaphil when my 2 month old's cheeks were chapped. Within 2 days they were back to normal and really soft. Now I use it every time he's done with his bath and we haven't had a problem since. It's made especially for sensitive skin so its not supposed to irritate like other lotions can. He doesn't even whine or anything when I put it on so apparently it doesn't bother him. Maybe give that a try. Its also fragerance free which is important.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Eczema unfortunately is something that you will just have to deal with looking at. I would just lotion it at every diaper change and see if that will help. My LO has it on her back and I put lotion on every night after bath until we got it cleared up and occasionally it will flare. You also have to remember that the air is getting drier which is making his skin more dry.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Aveeno for babies is the best thing or Eucerin lotion works great on eczema....
    Anonymous

• I used to use baby oil instead of a lotion b/c it would sting my sons legs and get even redier.
    the dr, gave him elidel cream too
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 8:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yeah i was told that the other day that the air is getting drier. also i was told that heat can cause the redness and so im dressing him in just a onesie for the rest of the week to see if that helps with the redness.
    mommy.of.isaac

Answer by mommy.of.isaac at 8:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• maybe a humidifier in his room would help then too if the air is getting drier. ????
    Anonymous

• i also noticed that when we apply the lotion he cries and he puts his hands on his face and rubs them. i just thought it was because the lotion was cold. but then he pouts his little lip and looks at me like, what are you doing to me mommy?!
    mommy.of.isaac

Answer by mommy.of.isaac at 8:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my doctor told me to not put anything on the face? My daughter has really bad eczema as well on her face, and I was putting lotions and aquaphore on her and it actually made it even more red and worse. So I stopped using everything on her face and now it looks a lot better, still very dry but isn't as irritating to her! Maybe consult with your doctor. Good Luck. I hate eczema, it's the worst =(
    Anonymous