12 yr. old girls claiming to be bi-sexual????

Ok so this little girl moves in next door to us and my daughter and her introduce themselves and get to talking,well I guess the conversation tuned to dating and the girl casually tells my daughter "oh,I'm bi" So my daughter comes in and relays all this to me with a casual "so what"kinda attitude and tells me it's no big deal..."half of the kid's at school are bi mom,they kiss and stuff at school all the time" WHAT!!!! I am trying very hard not to over react because I want her to always feel she can be honest with me....But I am FREAKING OUT! This is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever heard!! I talked to my 16 yr. old son and he said basically the same thing! He was like " yea,it's pretty common mom what's the big deal?" Anybody else ever had to deal with something like this?

flowerchid72

Asked by flowerchid72 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I should clarify: I don't have an issue with anyone's sexuality/preference. However, it was a lot easier to manage when things broke down along the lines of gender. At 12, NO ONE should be caught in the middle school bathroom doing ANYthing besides using the toilet and washing their hands. (There are no mirrors, so checking your face/hair can't happen.) And because today's child is growing up in a more aggressively sexualized world, we're seeing more sexualized behavior from younger and younger children. Whatever happens between mature adults is their business, but catching 11-14 year olds in a boy/boy or boy/girl or girl/girl sex act ANYwhere is NOT appropriate.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• So what you weren't concerned if there where heterosexual? So why are you so worried about bisexuals?
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Oh, yeah. We noticed it last year in my middle school. Teachers now have to stand in the doorway of the girls bathroom when the class goes. The have also been a number of girls fighting over other girls. I blame MTV, VH1, BET, Twitter and Facebook. (You can throw Beyonce and Lady Gaga into the mix, too.) They made prison culture cool for boys and strip club culture cool for girls. And, since a number of these activities have made their way on to video phones: YouTube is the devil!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• thats been going on for years and really what diffence does it make? Shouldnt make any diffrent to you whatsoever
    ignorance isnt working anymore momma
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 8:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Ok psychmommie....This is what I don't get....SINCE WHEN IS IT JUST THE NORM TO BE ATTRACTED TO THE SAME SEX!!!!? Especially at this age!? I'm tired of this being crammed down our throats as so natural!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I am Not ignorant in any way! I am actually very open minded. But that doesn't mean i want my 12 yr.old daughter talking about making out with a girl or ANYBODY at this age!!!!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thank you jonosmama!!!!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• For Pete's Sake! At 12 girls don't know which way is up when it comes to sexual stuff!
    Anonymous

• What people fail to see here is that mom isn't being judgemental or ignorant, or even (dare I say it) intolertant. These girls are TWELVE YEARS OLD! They are still kids. They shouldn't be worried about their sexuality or exploring this young. It is pretty common sense (although most will deny common sense) that the younger kids start exploring sexuality the chances are higher that they will get pregant or get an STD. A child that young is not responsible enough to practice BC 100% of the time. Not to even mention they are not mature enough to deal with sex emotionally.
    OP most people will just want to bash you and label you as intolerant if you say anything that they can twist to be offensive.
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. The only thing you can do is talk to your kids very often about the subject and teach them what you believe they should or shouldn't be doing.
    Anonymous

• Remember Katy Perry's number one hit last year? "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked it"
    Being "bi" is the popular thing these days. Girls suddenly become uber attractive to guys when they say they are "bi", and the girls know it. Being bi makes them popular, rebelious, wanted, and edgey.
    I think most of the young girls that clam this are really not bi or lesbian, they just crave the attention. I graduated in 2002 and it was starting to be popular. A lot of my close friends claimed to be bi. Now that they are older several of them have admitted they were just doing it to be cool and to get attention from guys.
    Teach your daughter she is worth more than that. She doesn't need to lie about who she is to get attention from anyone. It is one thing to actually be attracted to other girls, but to do it just for attention is pathetic and shows a low self-esteem.
    Anonymous