At what age do you take you child to the gynocologist?

So I was always told you should start at 16 and a lot of my girlfriends did though I did not. I am wonder if you have a DD at what age did you take her or plan to take her. I don't mean for BC either but just for a check up.

Asked by PsychMommie at 8:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• Unless they are in pain or uncomfortable with anything I would not take them untill they were atleast 18 and then I would probably let them make the choice. As long as your daugther is having normal cycles and not in pain and nothing abnormal going on I would let her decide when she wants to go.

Answer by smarie1011 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was told once they are sexually active, if there is a problem like abnormal periods or if they are really heavy or causing a lot of pain, or once they turn 18. I think 16 is a good age though. I went for the first time at 16 (I was sexually active though) and I didn't have a problem with it. Now they are recommending the HPV shot as well so the sooner you get it the better.

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was also told once sexually active or if issues arise..

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When I wanted to put her on birth control. that was 16.

Answer by louise2 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• unless they are sexually active a first exam is not necessary until age 18

Answer by MELRN at 9:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 14 or when first period begins, also if you want the HPV shot before, it is amazing what they tell the doc that they don't tell you!!

Answer by kimigogo at 9:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We see a family practitioner so I won't have to take her to another Doc - the FP does it all. So I'll let the Doc be our guide, and see when she suggests my DD has an exam. I agree with a lot of the posts that say, around 16 or when she becomes sexually active (*shudder at the thought... she only 5 now!!*).

Answer by Morgain at 9:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 18 or when she's sexually active or wants to go on bc. i'd get her the hpv shot as soon as you can, tho. can't be too safe!

Answer by level1fevi at 9:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When they become sexually active.

Answer by beeky at 10:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When you *THINK* they might be sexually active or may become sexually active soon, its time to take them in.