At what age do you take you child to the gynocologist?

So I was always told you should start at 16 and a lot of my girlfriends did though I did not. I am wonder if you have a DD at what age did you take her or plan to take her. I don't mean for BC either but just for a check up.

PsychMommie

Asked by PsychMommie at 8:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• Unless they are in pain or uncomfortable with anything I would not take them untill they were atleast 18 and then I would probably let them make the choice. As long as your daugther is having normal cycles and not in pain and nothing abnormal going on I would let her decide when she wants to go.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was told once they are sexually active, if there is a problem like abnormal periods or if they are really heavy or causing a lot of pain, or once they turn 18. I think 16 is a good age though. I went for the first time at 16 (I was sexually active though) and I didn't have a problem with it. Now they are recommending the HPV shot as well so the sooner you get it the better.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was also told once sexually active or if issues arise..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When I wanted to put her on birth control. that was 16.

Answer by louise2 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• unless they are sexually active a first exam is not necessary until age 18
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 14 or when first period begins, also if you want the HPV shot before, it is amazing what they tell the doc that they don't tell you!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We see a family practitioner so I won't have to take her to another Doc - the FP does it all. So I'll let the Doc be our guide, and see when she suggests my DD has an exam. I agree with a lot of the posts that say, around 16 or when she becomes sexually active (*shudder at the thought... she only 5 now!!*).

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 18 or when she's sexually active or wants to go on bc. i'd get her the hpv shot as soon as you can, tho. can't be too safe!
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 9:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When they become sexually active.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When you *THINK* they might be sexually active or may become sexually active soon, its time to take them in.
    Anonymous