Our 1 year old is having a hard time drinking whole milk.

I have stopped nursing and she just doesn't seem interested in milk. Our other two children didn't have a problem switching from breast to whole milk. I just wondered what other moms have experienced and what suggestions you might have.

amniederst

Asked by amniederst at 9:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you know that we don't really even need milk past infancy. If you look at the animals, they only drink milk in infancy... after that, notta. Technically, we don't really even need milk... just make sure she gets yogurt and cheese.
    Anonymous

• vanilla soy? it may taste more like your breast milk.my toddler drinks this and regular milk.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 9:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Mine didn't like it either. So I tried her on 1% and she drank it. I gradually mixed it up (over the course of a month) until now shes on whole milk and won't touch 1%
    How is she with other dairy? You might want to try some of the yougrt drinks - I found them in the ethnic/international sections. It could just be a flavor issue. .
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my son LOVES milk, but it isnt really a necessity. you can replace the calcium and vitamin d benefits of milk with yogurt or cheese, or veggies and grain !
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We went from breast milk to whole milk to diarreah-land to 1% to 2% to skim, and finally had to go to soy to let his body adjust to all the junk that he wasn't used to, including the extra vitamins. It only took three months of soy to get his system adjusted. We made sure to give him cheeese and yogurt. Oh, and we can't forget ice cream. Great for teething and he LOVED it. What kid doesn't?

JessicaRee

Answer by JessicaRee at 10:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We went to 2% as well as mixing it with Strawberry milk.
    Anonymous

• Pediasure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. My daughter's 14 months and still just takes a sip and makes a face (if I'm lucky) or spits it out (if I'm not). Of course, she'll take a few sips in a row out of her older sister's milk cup (but if I give it to her, she won't). I don't believe in adding syrups to milk. What I plan to do is keep offering it periodically... but if she never takes it, oh well. She loves cheese and yogurt, so I give her whole milk yogurt or cheese with every meal. I also try to toss in some frozen spinach whenever I can -- with pasta or in omelettes. She gets good fats from eating a half an avocado every day or two. I'm not too worried...d
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2009