Do you ever feel this way?

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed by other people's problems? I'm not talking about one person always dumping on you emotionally and not really being a friend or anything like that. I mean where it seems like all at once, almost every one of your friends is in the middle of a crisis, and, since you are good friends, they talk to you about it? Which is fine, because friends do that, but all at once it gets overwhelming? A friend having a rough pg. A friend in a very bitter custody battle. Another whose dh of almost 20 yrs leaving her out of the blue. Another with cancer. Another whose gma is dying. Another struggling with depression. I love all of them, and want to be supportive, but I feel so overwhelmed, and this isn't a good time of yr for me anyway, so that makes it hard, too.

Is it selfish to feel this overwhelmed and want to just hide or say when's it my turn to cry? Do you ever feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• It is not selfish. It is the complete opposite. You shouldn't feel overwhelmed at all, maybe sorry for them but you are caring and worrying too much if other peoples problems are affecting you this way. I think this is kind of unhealthy actually. You totally sound like you have some pisces in you. hahahaa. yeah...you need to worry about yourself. You can't fix their lives. Love them and support them but don't stress about it. Stress will only shorten your life!
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 10:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thank you! lol, though actually, I'm a gemini. I do care about my friends, and I do try to be a supportive person and listen to them when they need to talk, but when I'm getting 3 and 4 phone calls a day, and several emails, from different friends, and some of them don't know each other, so it's not like they know what all the other one's are going through, and they're all upset or depressed and needing to talk, it just gets overwhelming, you know?

Thank you for reaffirming to me that it's not selfish of me to need to step back some!
    Anonymous

• I'm a Gemini too. :-D My sister and my mom have a lot of drama between them and they both come to me with their problems with each other. I CRIED one night because I couldn't deal with it anymore. I just broke down and told my mom that I couldn't hear them talk about each other anymore - that it was TOO much drama and they needed to talk to each other.

And no, i don't think it's selfish either. Sometimes other peoples problem can be too much for a person. <3
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't know you but you sound like you have a big heart and take all their stuff in.I think they should return the favor and listen to you too.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009