Do you think it is wise to give teens full access to a car?

My daughter and stepson are the same age. Both are almost 17. We have an extra car for when the have dates or go to work. I am not hip with them driving to school or having freedom to hop in the car if they "just want to hang out" I feel there needs to be a reason and a curfew. Is that too strict?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think they should be paying their own insurnace & gas for freedom of a car.
    Anonymous

• I bought my kids their own cars when they turned 17. They were exceptional students, I wanted to reward them. But my financial input ended there. They had to register, inspect, insure, gas it. If they didn't have the money for it, they took the bus.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think kids should have a car, we always did. But I guess it depends on their level of responsibilty. After 15, the only place us kids were going was to work. We were homeschooled.
    Anonymous

• I never let my kids drive. Never. They learned how after they where grown.

Answer by louise2 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i got my first car when i was 17. my mom bought it for me, and she payed the insurance and gas and everything. i think moms on here are way too tough. im not saying they should be out riding around at 4 in the morning, but if they feel like taking a ride to the mall with there friends and there gonna see a movie and there not gonna be home until midnight or 1 am, whats the big deal? theyre gonna be adults in a year. especially if they are good kids, do good in school and etc. i think kids should be able to enjoy there younger years before it really gets tough and they have to pay there own bills & dont have time to just have fun with friends, and at the same there growing up and need to start being treated like theyre growing up also.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No. Not until they are paying their own gas, insurance and repairs. That will make them more responsible than if they have access to your car without having to think of the consequences of reckless or careless behaviour.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My teens paid 1/2 for their own cars, they pay for their own gas and for their own insurance BUT they also have rules. They cannot just go when they please. They have a curfew and they have rules. They have to have clear plans and a clear destination in order to go out, they have to call when they arrive and they have to call when they leave to go somewhere else or to head home. I think that that's fair with higgh schoolers.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• IF THEY'RE RESPONSIBLE AND GOOD KIDS , I DONT C Y NOT !

AND THE CURFEW AND REASON THING , IS NOT BEING TOO STRICT . CUZ IS UNDERSTANDABLE THAT YOU WANT TO PROTECT THEM !

REMEMBER THAT HAVING A CAR , AMKES ANYONE'S LIVES EASIER !

AND YOU WANT TPO MAKE YOUR KIDS' LIVES EASIER , DONT YOU ?

I REFER TO YOUR STEPSON AS "UR KID" CUZ IS EASIER TO TYPE IT LIKE TAHT LOL
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No, that's not too strict. Make them each pay 1/2 the insurance, pay for their own gas, & give them a curfew. They should also ask permission before they go anywhere, because they are still KIDS living under YOUR roof, using YOUR car. Teaching them responsibility is part of parenting.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't think it's too strict. Our children did not have their own cars until they went to college. As long as they lived at home, they shared the family cars. It worked very well for us. We learned early on that too much freedom too soon is not a good thing. We also did not allow our children to work until after they had finished high school. They seemed to like the trade-off of not having to have the responsibility of a job versus not having their own vehicles.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2009