My sons routine vs life.

My kid is a little over a year old now and I have him on a slight sleeping routine (wake up whenever, nap at 11 for at least 1hr, bedtime at 8) and he gets fussy when this routine isnt followed. But because my hubby works out of town, I am basicly it when it comes down to doing everything. So when I need to run errands or go to an appoinment that usually runs too long, his routine gets messed up. I try very hard to keep up with his routine and make sure its followed. If it gets tweeked sometimes, ok, I wont throw a fit. But my family seems to think that hes routine is bull and they dont need to follow it. Now there are a few times when I HAVE to leave my kids with them and when I get em back, its hell on me. How do I clearly explain that he HAS to get his nap in and go to bed on time without looking like a control freak?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell them you're not the only one who puts their kid down for a nap at the same time every day and if the kid doesn't get a nap they're a little hellion! I have always had a set nap time for my kids, and still do for the younger 2 - and if it gets messed with, or they don't get a nap, or anything, it's horrible! Your child, your rules - they need to follow them. Don't worry about sounding like a control freak, because you're being a good parent by doing what you're doing.
    Anonymous

• If you figure that out, let me know. My son's 2, and I'm still fighting that (losing) battle. It amazes me how mothers seem to forget how important sleep and routines are when it's not their child. My husband, even, has just recently figured out how badly our toddler needs his sleep. That has actually made things a lot easier on me, since now he can back me up without making it out like it's all my fault and I'm making excuses. I know that doesn't help much in your situation, with your husband not around a lot, but maybe you can find someone else to fill that place, someone who you can show exactly what you're talking about so it wouldn't be all you anymore.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My kids were on a nap schedule. If I went off the schedule they were cranky, and horrible to be around bc they would get upset about every little thing. My MIL did not believe in sticking to the schedule. I would pick them up from her house and they would be a mess the rest of the day. I finally got to the point that I told her...if you want to watch your grandkids you WILL follow their schedule, if you do not, then you can not watch them, but come see them at my house when you are invited. That stopped it for me. She realized -finally- that I was serious and started following what I asked her to do when watching my kids. You are not a control freak-your his mother and you know what is best for him.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Then don't have them watch your kids.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 10:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Try explaining it to them this way: if naps aren't important then why does every daycare in existence have a set nap schedule? My 2 year old even knows that he needs his nap. He tells me "mommy, i sleep" if for some reason our schedule gets out of wack!!
    JessicaRee

Answer by JessicaRee at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I faced this with my family; I think when I was little they let me sleep when I fell asleep, eat when I was hungry, etc. I must have been a much easier child than my first daughter, who absolutely THRIVES on routine. She's the easiest kid in the world when her life goes as predicted, but she's somewhat of a monster when it doesn't. In the beginning I did have to deal with a lot of comments about how we were too strict or overprotective, but when they were taking care of her, I always firmly stated how I wanted things to go. I know sometimes they didn't follow this, and let her stay up later, things like that. Now I think they realize because they've seen first-hand that Quentin does better with her routine. I'd just talk to them about it, explain that you know your son best of all and what works for him, and hopefully they can respect that. And don't worry, as he gets older you'll be able to be a little more flexible.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009