HELP!!!!! my baby won't sit still when i read to him, does yours?

my 10 month old will not sit still or pay attention when i read to him. i miss it when he would just lay there and listen/look at the pictures. now he's everywhere! i get so frustrated bc i know reading to them helps improve their talking skills and other areas of development. does anyone have any suggestions for making reading time more enjoyable for him and keeping his attention?

smb87

Asked by smb87 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep reading aloud to him, and don't worry so much. Show him the pictures, and let him get involved if he wants to, but don't force it or he'll just end up fighting it that much harder. I'm sure he's absorbing a lot more than you think he is.

My toddler never sits still when I read to him, so I've been reading him Harry Potter because I enjoy it, even though I know it's way above his head. But despite him being all over the place as I'm reading, he still gets super excited when I say anything about reading Harry Potter, and he knows and will point out the Harry Potter books, even in a crowded bookstore, and now knows most of the letters in the words "Harry Potter". So it's still beneficial. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It is perfectly normal for him to not sit still. babies have a very short attention span especially at this age. My son is 14 months old and he will not sit still for nothing. Sometimes I can put him in my lap and let him look at the pictures. use hard board books with pop out pictures and let him turn the pages. And you know what I just told someone this the other day. Just because he is not looking does not mean he can't hear you. Its still good to have that reading time. But, I aslo know that at this age lettin them look at the pictures and just telling them what the pictures are is a wonderful thing for them. Just wait till he is ready to read. Keep a few books laying around the room and you will be surprised what he does!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My boys never did. Couldn't care less.

My daughter bugs me 24/7 to read to her.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• That's totally normal. I didn't start reading to my kids until they were about 2 and were actually interested in the pictures. Before age 2, I would just tell them stories that I make up.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My first didn't sit still for reading until he could understand the stories... at least 2ish, maybe a little later.

Keep reading to him while he plays, he get interested eventually.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We do books before bed when he's tired... there is no way he would sit still for a milisecond during the day... he just goes,goes,goes.
    But I talk to him alot during the day... and that helps with language too. So when you son is playing talk to him about the toys he has and what he's doing, the colors and things like that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I use to read to my son when he was in the tub..he couldn't get away from me there lol. Even if he was busy playing I'd still read to him.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I love reading! Keep reading to him, but don't worry too much about him wiggling around and stuff. Don't worry if you don't get through the whole book, read a few pages, and when he loses interest, set it aside. You can pick up where you left off later. Also, talk to him about the book - ask him what he thinks is going to happen next, etc.

Because yes, reading is very important in a lot of ways, but if make it a "sit still and pay attention, Mommy's trying to read you a story" sort of thing, then you might win that battle, but you're going to lose the war of making him love books, because it's not going to be fun for him. There will come a time when he's ready to sit still and want to listen again, and he's going to have learned, in a positive way, that if he wants to hear the story, he needs to pay attention.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• cont

Also, I don't know if you do this or not, but be very animated in the story. With babies, there's a lot of soothing, calming sorts of reading to them. Toddlers and preschoolers, and, to be honest, even older kids, are often more into the story being very exciting and drama filled. (lol - a good example of this is "There's a Monster At The End Of This Book" featuring Grover - lots of opportunity to build suspense and use big drama voices lol!)

It makes them see books as something fun, not a "chore" that needs to be endured. Both my teens are voracious readers, and it helped the kids I've tutored in reading over the yrs, too. The benefits of reading come as a "bonus" to the fun of enjoying the book, sort of like getting your cardio playing a sport you love, instead of forcing yourself to work out for the health benefits... ;-)

Don't worry too much if he's not sitting still for it right now :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree it Is very normal for toddlers to not sit still for storytime. My DS loved those peekaboo flap books, so fun for them, definitely try one if you haven't!
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009