My niece sucks her thumb and pulls her hair out..Just on that one side. She yanks on it while she is sucking her thumb .And she don't feel a thing! She does it sometimes during the day to and sometimes she eats it! She is 3 and we have to keep her hair really really short so she wont do it. But, as soon as it gets long enough she starts pulling.. Has anyone else had this problem with their child. Do you think she will grow out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She needs to see the pediatrician, that is actually a disorder, I remember reading about it not too long ago. I don't think you should let it go, it tends to get worst.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm sorry but I have to agree. I've heard of this before as well and it definitely sounds like a disorder. It must be taking care of or it will get a lot worse. Don't wait. it can become much bigger then what it is.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well the thumb sucking sounds normal but yanking alot of hair does not sound right.

She might need to go see a specialist...do this soon it may get worse. God Bless Her and GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My niece did and sometimes still does this - the hair pulling not the thumb sucking. She would actually find hairs on the floor and eat them as well. It can be part of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and I would have my child at the doctor as soon as I could.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My little sister done the exact same thing. It started with her sucking her thumb and twisting the "diaper fuzz" off her diapers. After she was potty trained she would suck her thumb and pull her hair out. She looked like a little cancer patient bc she would pull so much out. My mom took her to the Dr and he said she will grow out of it. I would ask a Dr to see if here is anything he/she can do about it. My little sister is almost 7 now and her hair is really fine and acts like it doesnt want to grow now.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes, get her to the dr. asap! My sisters' friend has this and she still suffers from it. She has to keep her hair super short or covered up so she doesn't pull it out. Its called trichotelamania.
    mrssmirh30

Answer by mrssmirh30 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009