I just caught my 4 year old playing with his penis under the covers, is this normal at this age?

caidensmommom

Asked by caidensmommom at 11:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep, very normal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• lol. My 14 month old does it all the time..they are just curious! Unless you have reason to believe that he seen someone else doing it. Then I'm sure he has no idea what he is doing! I say that because I know a 4 year old that can tell you everything and I mean everything! Its his moms fault though makes me sick!
    Anonymous

• yes. my 4 yr old girl does it and hurries up and stops if i walk in the room.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 11:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Yes, they want to explore.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thank you SOOO... much. I was worried I was the only parent that this happened to! I appreciate all of super helpful answers!
    caidensmommom

Answer by caidensmommom at 11:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• to make you feel better, when I caught my oldest doing that around 4, I called my husband at work and was freaking out... he got frustrated at me for saying it was a "family emergancy" and told me to tell him to go to his room or the bathroom if he wanted to play with his penis.... I freaked out thinking "thats not normal" so called just about every mom I could think of that had older sons...... so by the end of the night, I figured out it was pretty normal...lol then I told him that if he was going to play around and explore he had to do it in his room, and so... he stoped.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am surprised it took this long. Totally normal and usually happens earlier. We simply taught them that it is only appropriate to do this in private in the bathroom or their bedroom.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I have been catching my almost 2 year old playing with himself if he has underwear on. With a diaper he doesn't do it. I think they just find it and it feels different to play with it. We are potty training and it's all new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes totally normal! I just tell him do it when you are by yourself!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yeap. Just explain that he needs to do this in his bedroom only. It is a private thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009