Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial help for my autistic son....

My last question was really confusing and I didn't ask it well. I am new and I apologize for any inconvience. Anyway, the therapies and biomedical treatments are very costly for my son who has PDD and is 5 yrs. old. I live in NY and was wondering if anyone knew of any state and/or federal aide that families can get to maintain services out side of school since it is rarely covered by insurance.

Answer Question

Asked by bigmama96 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • You should check Early Intervention for your area. I know he is too old for it, but they can give you referrals for programs that can help you. Here in Texas, our MHMR, Mental Heath Mental Retardation center has helped us immensely. I don't know if your area has one, but you can look it up on Google. Also, see if he qualifies for both medicaid/medical/medicare.. I don't know what it's called in New York, but our son qualified for medicaid out here. Most importantly, apply for SSI. Call the 800 number, or go to the site and look up how to apply. Anytime you apply for anything, make sure you have plenty of copies of ALL diagnoses for your child, as well as birth certificate and SS card.


    Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • SSI is very difficult to get, and you have to have practically no savings or assets to qualify but if you do he can get some money through there. Other than that, have you contacted your local autism society to ask them about resources? We have a program here called First In Families that you can apply once/year for a $500 grant for services.

    Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.