How can I trick my EBF 9 month old into drinking some formula?

She is addicted to the nip-nip. Unfortunately, I have to go to class two days a week and I can't pump any milk because she DRINKS IT ALL. My child suckles all day long for comfort where another child would just use a binkie. What can I do to get her to drink some formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long will you be gone? At 9 months you really don't need to supplement... leave her with some solids and water, she'll make up for it when you get home.

Or, try and pump WHILE you nurse first thing in the morning. That's the only way/time I have success pumping.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Oh, and other children use binkies as replacements for what your daughter does, which is comfort nurse. It's completely normal and much better for her than a binkie!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Leanne always beats me to the punch. Encourage solids and water during your school day. It's called reverse cycling. You encourage baby to nurse more in the evenings and at night and they'll nurse less in the day while you're gone.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• don't give her water there is no nutriance in that... if anything give her watered down juice.. like apple juice in a sippy cup.. and solids as well..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Water IS a nutrient. Once baby is on solids, they can have water... and should have water instead of juice if there is a choice to be made. Juice is more sugar than anything, it's better for a child to eat whole fruit and drink water. Americans already have issues with drinking their calories.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You can't. She'll take it or not. More likely she'll just wait till you're home.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You can't "trick" them into anything. At that age my daughter completely quit taking breastmilk from a bottle while I was gone for 9 hours at a time at work (I went back to work at 6 weeks old and DH stayed home). I would pump while at class to maintain supply and offer her that while you are gone. If you don't have enough for the first couple days then that should be fine. Water and food should be all the LO needs while you are gone at 9 months old. Both my children used me as a binky and I see no problem with it. The hint about pumping while nursing one side is good, but sometimes difficult to work out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm going on a day-long shopping adventure - all my xmas shopping, ONE DAY! - in a couple weeks and my 8 1/2 month old will be left with solids and sippy cups of water. He won't drink BM out of a sippy, for anyone, he only likes it straight from the tap.

There is no need to use formula at all. Baby can make up for the missed nursing sessions when you get home. She might latch on and not get off til she goes to bed, but you can study and read your books or go online to work whilst nursing. I do it all the time. I have a boppy pillow and just sit and go about what I was going to do if he gets into a big comfort nursing session.

And I would not use juice JMO.. juice can cause diarrhea and babies will get a preference for it instead of water which is what they should be drinking.. so JMO it's really unnecessary to start that habit..
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2009