help!!!!! i wanna stop breast feeding

my daughter is 3 1/2 months and i want to stop breast feeding around December only because i want to drink during a new years party... do i have to stop bf just cuz i wanna get wasted or can i continue bf.... i need some tips on how to stop bf and also on how to relieve the pain that comes from not bf anymore... what do i do..???????

marquezt18

Asked by marquezt18 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow, i'm surprised how super judgmental a lot of you are. someone is asking for advice and many of you are just bashing her and calling her selfish, it's so mean! i think you guys need to get over yourselves!!!
    laurenmason

Answer by laurenmason at 3:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You can get a pump, and pump your milk. Then, when you've finished drinking, you should pump and dump for the next two or three pumping sessions, and drink plenty of water.
    If you feel like you HAVE to drink to have a good time, please for the love of god get a competent babysitter for the ENTIRE night; don't go home wasted and try to take care of your baby.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You don't need to stop breastfeeding to drink. You can have one or two drinks and still breastfeed, since alcohol works its way through your milk at the same rate as your blood. If you're planning on getting tanked, just pump ahead of time, and feed pumped milk until you are sober.

I would also keep in mind that breastfeeding is such a short, IMPORTANT part of your baby's life. There will be 192528957458769 opportunities to get hammered after she weans, so keep that in perspective.

http://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ok I understand you wanting to go and have fun but really I do not understand your reasoning in stopping breastfeeding so you can get wasted for one night. WOW now that just dosent make sense to me. And I think its kind of sad actually...
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Wow, that is all I can say...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You sound like a real winner!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• There a test strips you can get at Babies R Us to test your breast milk for alcohol. You don't have to stop breastfeeding just for one night. Just pump ahead, the only thing is, your baby may not take the bottle from you, maybe from someone else, my son wouldn't take it from me for the longest time but from his Grandmothers he would and my husband. I mean it prolly tastes better straight from the tap, ya know what I mean? You don't have to pump and dump your milk either. When the alcohol leaves your blood it will leave your milk too. So just test your milk before proceeding with nursing again. Dr Jack Newman, "Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all ... Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers." Forget what the others are saying. It's very judgemental of them. There is nothing wrong with responsible drinking as long as you are of age.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 12:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You do not need to stop breastfeeding. You do not need to pump and dump. Alcohol doesn't stay in your breast milk any longer than it stays in your blood, so once you are sober you can breastfeed again. I would suggest pumping before so that the person you are leaving your baby with has something to feed her. Nothing worse than a hungry cranky baby when you don't have a boob to give them. :) When you do decide to stop, only get rid of one feeding at a time for 4-7 days or longer if you wish. You can safely have one or two drinks (depending on the alcohol) and still breastfeed, if you plan on keeping baby with you. I don't think I would get trashed while watching the baby though.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Like Amber said just store some breast milk before hand. If you time it right having 1-2 drinks won't matter. The best way to stop BF is to gradually eliminate feedings. I did this over two months and did not experience pain. Also pace yourself if this is your first time partying...your body has gone through many changes and you don't have the same tolerance. The first time I had a few glasses of wine(3) I was paying for it for 2 days. I don't like to be drunk..I think a happy social buzz is much more fun. Have fun and you might want to wear some nursing pads if you plan on getting wasted...you don't want to start leaking.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• A friend of mine quit breast feeding and her mam. gland developed a huge cyst that had to be lanced. They had to cut open her breast and pack it with tissue and have a little string come out of it because it was all infected with pus.
    And you are being greedy and selfish. Great life your baby is going to have with a greedy and selfish mom. You should just pump a good amount out, save it in the little bags in the fridge, and when you drink you should pump and dump it, and then start breastfeeding again. Problem solved. Don't be such a witch to your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2009