Should I feel quilty about wanting my child to play by herself more than with me?

I have a 23 month old who has the energy of 3 kids. I am and will always be very affectionate with my child. I love her to death. At the moment I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and can't play or entertain her the way she is used to. Im more tired, moody and very huge. Im currently at home with her now on a 24 hr. basis. I try to maintain the house, handle business and stimulate her as much as I can. But, I seriously have slacked. I just get overwelmed with the amount of attention she wants and just want her to go and play and entertain herself for at least 3 hours...LOL. My sanity is surely being tested...lol

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 5 year old and a 21 and 23 year old. All girls. Sometimes raising the little one is like having an only child. She follows me around during the day wanting me to play with her. Some days it makes me crazy and other days I'm up for it. She does play a good bit by herself and she does watch PBS cartoons (I know...bad momma). But having the full force of a child's attention on you is exhausting. I can't even imagine if you are pregnant as well. I would not feel bad at all.

char944

Answer by char944 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No, as long as you're not leaving her alone all day you shouldn't feel guilty about it. I'm sure it is very hard to entertain a toddler while you are so far along in your pregnancy- heck, it's hard for me to entertain my 2 year old all day long and I'm not even pregnant! I think that children need some time alone every day...it makes them more independent and it stimulates creativity. Also, I have found that after my son has played alone for a while he seems very relaxed and calm.
    xoxoKate

Answer by xoxoKate at 1:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No. You shouldn't. Everyone needs time alone, especially now for you. Being pregnant is stressful enough without having to be the sole entertainment of a two year old. There are times when I am so grateful for the mindless idiocy of spongebob I could cry.
    The other poster is right, it will teach them to be more independent, and you are going to need that pretty soon when the new baby comes.
    myisagenixbiz

Answer by myisagenixbiz at 1:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The way I look at it is -- imagine she were not your first child. What kind of attention would she be getting. It's okay to expect your children to entertain themselves much of the time... don't tune her out if she wants to talk, and make sure she gets your undivided attention at some points throughout the day... if you're doing those things, she'll be fine. That's just life for a second or third child and they turn out fine...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thanks guys for the feedback. I really am glad Im not the only one feeling like this sometimes, I know once new baby girl is here I will feel a lot better and hopefully have a little bit more energy. At least I will have my body back...Lol! I loved all the answers, so keep'em coming if you have more to add.
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2009