How to get my son to drink milk?

I recently took my son off the bottles at year old. He was drinking milk outta the bottles and when I switched him to his sippy cup, which he drinks VERY well outta of, he refused to drink milk! I have tried chocolate milk and strawberry as well as plain. He will take a sip and throw the sippy cup down! He drinks soooo much juice!! At the store I had to buy 5 bottles to last us!! Any help?! I KNOW he still needs to be drinking milk, but he is sooo stubborn?! Any help is GREATLY apperciated!

DarthPink

Asked by DarthPink at 12:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all you need to give him less juice and more water that much juice is NOT normal nor healthy for him to be drinking...
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• stop buying juice! it is not healthy. maybe cows milk hurts his tummy but he can't tell you that, try coconut milk or goat milk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ditto on what they said about the juice. Juice is NOT good for you, it's mostly sugar. Small amounts of juice are okay, but that much juice is terrible for him.
    have you tried changing the type of cup he drinks it out of? Maybe using one of those with the straw? or one of those with the soft spout made for transitioning between a bottle and a sippy cup? Milk is kind of thick, so maybe he is having a hard time getting it through the valve in the sippy cup?
    If he was drinking milk before with no problems, then the problem is probably with the cup and not the milk. My 2 year old won't use certain types of cups. We went through 3 or 4 before we found one she likes, the .97 ones made by Nuby from Walmart. The problem with her is, she won't drink anything BUT milk, and she wants it filled ALL DAY.
    myisagenixbiz

Answer by myisagenixbiz at 1:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If he won't drink milk he should be drinking water. Give him a choice - milk or water? Don't offer juice, he shouldn't be drinking more than 6 oz/day anyway. I only give my kids juice as a treat and even then it's watered down 50/50.
    If he still won't drink milk, then he drinks water and you can supplement with other dairy foods - yogurt, cheese, etc.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree... water or milk. Try different cups for the milk. My first daughter would drink water out of one kind of sippy, milk out of another (one with a straw). My second daughter won't drink cow's milk at all, no matter the container (she's still nursing a little at 14 months), but she loves cheese and yogurt so we give some with every meal.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• He doesn't need to be drinking milk at all. He's not a baby cow. Dairy isn't a necessity. Don't sweat it. But do back off on the juice. Always offer water.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• In my personal opinion...he should either be drinking the milk or put him back on the formula and mix it 50/50 then 70/30 until he gets used to the taste...you have to wean, you can't just put him on it. Babies DO need the fat and calcium. even though they're not baby cows, there are still nutrients they shouldn't be deprived of. Like i said, IN MY OPINION> I know some people feel very strong about it but it's just my 2 cents. BTW< my daughter wont' take it either. She's 15 months and I still have to mix it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm there with you. My son will take sips of water or really diluted juice out of a sippy, but if I put his formula in there (he has a lot of allergies and is still on Nutramigen), he chunks the cup at me. We've tried just about every spout; the ones with the straws (playtex, nuby ) seem to work the best. I'm looking at trying to go from bottle to REAL cup - search "switching to real cup" and you can see the advice other moms gave me. Good luck, mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I do the Aquafina flavored water..My daughter wont drink milk at all...So I give her juice..I know I shouldnt but its not like she drinks it alll day long lol...AND Chocolate milk..it just started about a month ago...I will take what I can get since she is a great eater im not picky about what she drinks really.. Try different sippy cups. Like Nuby with the soft Spouts...Good Luck...:D
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree with the others who said you need to cut back on the juice. And giving choices is good. milk or water? Also, he doesn't really need the milk if he eats other dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. In fact, children who drink the recommended amount of milk have a higher risk of conditions related to the upper respiratory issues then those who drink limited milk or no cows milk at all.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009