What would you do if you found out your child was gay?

I'd support her and still enforce the no sex til you graduate rule. I don't find it threatening to have a gay child and I'm not going to betray her trust just because she doesn't love the same as those who think it's wrong. I'll still love her no matter what.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't mind having a gay child, i'd be upset that the possibility of me having blood related grand kids were more slim, but my dad is gay so i'm used to the topic
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would support her no matter what but, it would make me sad to think of all of the horrible people that she would have to face throughout her life

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Nothing. I would still expect him to do chores and his schoolwork and maintain chastity. :) Doesn't matter if it is with a woman or man, I would expect him to stay celebate until marraige.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My 15 year old daughter came out to me as bi-sexual, recently. I hugged her, and will always support her. She is a human being, blood of my blood, who deserves equal rights, and I will love her always, no matter what.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Offer the same love, support and expect same things from them  as I would a heterosexual child.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i wouldnt care. whatever makes her happy. but she better adopt a kid later on cause i want garndbabies haha
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Take him/her to lunch where we can properly discuss his/her new information properly over pasta and breadsticks and giant glasses of wine. Will there be wardrobe differences? Have they been dating someone? How long have they known? Why didn't they tell me sooner?

I just don't care if my child is gay- it's MY CHILD, that to me is more defining than any other information.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 6:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would be sad for the hard life they will end up living, since so many people are intolerant. But I would not love him any less, treat him any differently, or stop supporting him or his choices. I would make it clear to him that the "no sex in my house unless you're married" still applies, but when he was out of my home, if he was in a committed relationship with someone that I knew he truly loved and wasn't going to be breaking up with, and he still wasn't allowed to marry, that rule may change.

His being gay or straight does not change the fact that he is still my wonderful, sweet, loving, exasperating, intelligent, gorgeous child, and it is not something that should be used to determine his worth.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Good for you and your child! Mine came out when she was 17 and she is my pride and joy!

Answer by older at 7:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'd be proud that my child had the courage to tell me who he/she really is, I'd be worried for all of the hard times that child would have ahead (don't we all want things to be easy for our kids?), and I would keep on praying that my child is able to find love and happiness in this world - no matter who they love.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2009