There is something wrong with my son.

I don't know what to think... WE are waiting for our insurance to kick in then I will take him to his ped. He is 4 and is still speaking at a 2 yr old level. He can count to 20, knows the alphabet and vowels... but can only say them.. not identify them. Like if you ask him to count to ten, he can, but we do flash cards daily and if I put them out of order he cannot identify the numbers. He is very social, very affectionate, and on most levels perfectly normal. Its the speach and the identification skills that just are lacking. My family seems to think he is fine and my dh thinks that he is just a little slow and will catch up with time... and maybe soo.. but at the same time, I see these things on a more daily basis then anyone eles. ITs like anything repetitive sticks in his head.. but take away the repetition and he can't identify the individual peices. But at the same time... he is exceptionally smart...cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Cont,,, one thing everyone comments on is how smart he is... For example give him a puzzle, any puzzle for the first time, and he can just do it without even stoping to think..not super easy puzzles eather... like 50 peice puzzles, or one time he sat down with a group of adults and worked on a 50000 peice puzzle with them for about 30 min straight and did better then them. I just don't know what to make of it. He is definetly not autistic from what I can tell.. he makes great eye contact, can stay focused.. but like I said... he can't seem to identify things that he should I even backed off to only working on numbers 1-5.. my 2 year old can identfy numbers 1-5 without a pause... but if they are out of sequence he just stares with the blank look in his eyes...

Am I over reacting?? Am I spotting things that aren't really an issue? I feel so scared right now... I feel like I'm standing in an ocean of "what ifs".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Nope you are not over reacting. It takes a mom to see things. Sometimes people won't accept that there might be something wrong. It took someone else telling my hubby, your son is not learning right for him to listen to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Really? Most 4yos can't do the skills you are asking him to do. He's fine. Back off. BTW his motor and reasoning skills are way above average. Every child develops at different rates in these skills at this age. He'll most likely end up being an engineer with those skills.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You mentioned you didnt think he was autistic but did you know that there are many different levels in which you can be. My son is now 17, he started the exact same way you have stated your son is. Anything repetitive like being able to sing a song or do a puzzle is great. Once you disorganize something though its like their brain cant see the big picture. My son also is very smart, affectionate, able to focus for a period. His biggest weakness is social skills. He definetly is a talker but talks out of context alot. He blurts things out and strays off subject. His diagnoses is Aspergers. It is autism but a high functioning level. Google it and see you much you can identify with it. Message me if you would like. Im no expert but have dealt with it a long time.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 5:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it until you have him tested. My oldest daughter didnt have any short term memory so they tested her and but her into class that would teach her the same subject over and over until she got it.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am no expert by any means, but this sounds like dyslexia to me. Dyslexics are generally very smart, but their brains process information differently than people who learn in a more average way. Usually letters and symbols are hard for them to process and remember and sometimes in young children it can present as a speech delay. Is your son in Kindergarden? If he is then he can be evaluated by the school and you won't have to go through your insurance. I have a good friend who is dyslexic and he is very bright, very sweet, and quite successful so hang in there! Getting the diagnosis early makes all the difference - by early I mean while he is young of course, not before your insurance kicks in.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• look into dyscalculia. it's like dyslexia, but pertains to numbers. not many people know about it... i was diagnosed with it in 2006 while attending college. probably explains why i was sooooo poor at math, and other issues (like reading a clock, tying my shoes, and the many speeding tickets i had recieved, etc...)
    i have to do things at my pace, i can't force myself to do things... but, i still struggle with math, and numbers, i write them backwards, and read them backwards. doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me... (i always thought there was...) but, now i know different.
    again, look into it, and feel free to message me if you'd like to...
    hanniwrencher

Answer by hanniwrencher at 8:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• does he have a leapster? Maybe you should get him something like that and he would work well with it. It would be educational yet to him he would feel like he is playing a game system and not being pestered by you to learn. I thought my son was like that at first and i got him one and he was so proud of himself getting the right answers. Just look into it =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would encourage an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician. Ask your pediatrician for a referral and don't take no for an answer! If there isn't a problem then you can calm your fears, but if there is then you've gotten a jumpstart on it and can quickly access the services he needs to get the ball rolling. I would also encourage you to google aspergers as a pp suggested and see if that sounds about right.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009