ugh...I weigh more than my husband!! I have been cutting down on sugar, do I need to cut it out completely??

I really hate the idea but maybe its time, I hate weighing more than him. does anyone else have this problem??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Health

• The best thing to do aside from exercise is eating small meals and in moderation. Try eating six small meals instead of 3 daily. Do cereal and a banana for breakfast, small snack before lunch like veggies and dip or peanut butter and toast, a salad for lunch with chicken or fish, another small snack and then dinner. You can eat almost anything you want you just have to do it in moderation. Stay away from seconds and thirds. They say to not eat meat that is bigger than yoru fist. My mom went on the Zone and lost 20 lbs fast. Its not a diet. Just a change in the amount and size that you eat. She makes these great egg beater omelet wraps for breakfast with low fat cheeze for breakfast and they are so good. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• exercise is so important too. Just walk a few blocks when possible and do some situps while watching tv. take your kids to the park and walk there instead of driving. thats if u drive and its close enough lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Sugar isn't the only that is going to go to your hips. Take a good long look at what you are eating and how much (portion size).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• That's really hard to do for lot's of reasons. Basically everything you eat is broken down into something, a protein a fat or a sugar. Mostly sugars. You will probably get sick and feel really strange if you try to omit sugar completely right to begin with.
    My sister started at 389 lbs, at began by using smaller plates and food portion sizes no bigger than the size of her hand. Then she moved onto organics and no prepackaged foods. Now she is a size 8. She was the only large person in our entire family, so genetics had nothing to do with it, she had to admit she was eating too much and overweight peole have a very hard time recognizing that they are indeed eating more than others. You can do this, get serious and get moving.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I HIGHLY recommend the South Beach Diet!!! It gives you SO MANY healthy and flavorful choices, and I have found it to be the easiest "diet" (actually a lifestyle change) to follow--and believe me I've tried them all!!! If you follow the diet to the letter, you WILL lose weight EASILY, and if you throw in some exercise (like Steph mentioned above), you'll tone up and lose even more!!!

South Beach (you can also sign up for support and tips online, as well as get the book at any bookstore), is about giving you PRACTICAL and HEALTHY food options that you can continue-- which means dessert in moderation and alternatives to help with cravings (there's a maintenance phase once you reach your goal) realistically forever if you'd like!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Sugar is just a small part of the equation. Remember, there are good sugars (like in fresh fruit) and bad sugars (like in soda pop).

Start making simple changes:
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• when i was getting ready for my wedding i cut out soda completely and lost 20 lbs in 4 months. I was 185 now i'm 165..i have went back to drinking but i limit myself to only 1 a day..(if that) before that was all i would drink.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• sugar is a craving - if you cut it out of your diet completely (we're talking refined sugars here, not natural ones like fruit), you will lose your craving for it. If you indulge in something, be prepared that the cravings will return. If you are seriously wanting to lose weight, cutting out refined sugars is a good place to start - then you cans start looking at other unhealthy choices like salty snacks. Remember that carbs in themselves are not bad for you, it's the fact that we tend to overeat them - pastas, breads, chips, so reducing their consumption is another good starting place. I recommend cleaning out your cupboards of all unhealthy snacks and DO NOT buy them. You have to change you lifestyle. And you CAN do it. But you may need to get your family involved too - good luck!
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• This REALLY helped me. Go to Calorie Count.com here is the link

http://caloriecount.about.com

You enter your height, weight & frame size & they calculate about how many caloreis you need to eat in order to lose weight. What REALLY helped me, was the calorie count. You can enter everything you eat they add up your calories for you. It is AMAZING to see how easy it is to accumulate calories. It really helped me choose my meals wiser, & forced me to eat less w/ snacks in between, When i realized how many calories i was actually eating, i was disgusted in myself. Anyway, it worked really good for me. Maybe you should try counting your calories & see how much you are actually eating in a day.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You need to find what works for you... I tried low/no sugar without success, I tried the no carb-no success... I finally did low fat and lost 45 pounds! The key to all of it is get moving! I got a stationary bike and at first could only ride for 7 minutes... I now ride 45 minutes a day and I feel GREAT! Good luck, you are on the right track- for me finally being tired of being big is what motivated me- not for anyone but me... I decided I did not need to be the skinniest Mom in the bunch, but I was tired of being the biggest!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2009