What is going on with our rabbits???

We have two bunnies that have been together for going on two years. My dh told me that he looked out in the garage last night and it looked like they were mating. We had thought all along that these animals were both female. Then I noticed what looks like blood in the catch pan. If someone out there has some rabbit experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 8:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pets

• It has been years since i have owned a rabbit but it could be a domanace thing or one is a boy and they were mating. Are they getting along now? have you found any more blood? Sometimes having them fixed with help if it is a domanance thing.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My dd checked them out after school. She also did a little search on the web. I guess they are bleeding from their mouths. They are fighting and the goo has dripped into the catch pan and thus it looks like it's in the urine. SOO relieved! because it could have been cancer or a UTI from what we gathered on the net. Dd has seperated them for now. She said that their mouths were all raw and bloody. I will watch for any signs of infection or that they are not healing right. Thanks ;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yep either dominance or mating. Have you actually checked to see if they are male or female? Its really not that hard if you look it up online its easier to see a pic. Males have parts that have distance between them, females dont. Males you can a lot of times feel testicles if they are sitting in a normal position, but not always. If you flip them on their backs the testicles recede most of the time. Most likely if they were mating the male will fall to his side after, weird rabbit thing, however i had a female rabbit mount a male rabbit and she fell to her side after, rabbits can be odd, by the way no way she was the male cause she had bunnies (I was young and for a long time didn't know one was male and one was female). Anyway, hopefully you don't have bunnies on the way, cause sometimes it can be difficult, especially if you have a large breed and have a litter of 11!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• BTW, hope they recover ok, sorry to hear they were hurt, sometimes they can be rough with each other.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Sorry my sexing of rabbits was wrong, think i was tired... rabbits are a bit more complicated to tell sex, you can sometimes see testicles, but usually have to hold them on their back kind of push the area above the parts to get the inside part to come out and see if it is more rounded or has a slit. You can find pics of this online if you need more help. Anyway hope they are recovering well.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 12:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010