How long before ovulation should you have intercourse? How long does it take for the little guys to reach the egg?

Hi All,

We are trying to have our second child and it's taking much longer than our first did. I am using an ovulation kit and it's telling me I surge on day 16 so we usually have intercourse about 12 plus hours after my surge and a couple days following. Am I allowing myself enough time? Should we have it every day? We only have intercourse about 4 times per month and that is the ovulation time. Does anyone know if the little men are ok only being let out a couple times per month? How long does it take for them to reach the egg? Sorry for all the questions but any help would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• when you get your surge it usually means that O is coming your way, so baby dancing right after is good, but usually it will only be the day after you get a positive. so when you start seein your OPKs darken, you should start BD'in....its recommended to have sex the 2-3 days before O and the day of to increase your chances. sperm can actually live up to 7 days in the right CM but your egg only lasts 12-48 hours. thats why more sex = better chance of catching the egg. that being said, having sex after you O wont be as effective bc there wont be an egg there to catch usually....and i believe it can take minutes or up to 10 hrs for the sperm to reach the egg.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Actully the more sex you have will lower his sperm count....it is better to go every other day ...good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I would try twice before you believe your Ovulating. Sprem lives up to 48 hr's,
    as for your egg lives 24. Not sure how long it takes for the sperm to meet up with the egg.

Wishing you lots of luck!
    adamsmom05

Answer by adamsmom05 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• actually thats not true....UNLESS SO has a low sperm count. saving sex for every other day could lessen sperm motlilty......

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/howfrequently.html

(i just read this, not trying to argue, its just fresh in my mind)
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• here's another

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52297
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009