my mom is a pagan and she seems worried that I might join a religion...

I am the one posting the Catholic questions. My dd and dh will be members of the church this April. I am going to take the class next year. I am not personally confliced. My Mom is a pagan. She did not start out this way but has choosen this path. It bothers me but I don't try and force my belief in Christ upon her. She however is asking w/so much fear and apprehension if I am going to join the church. Saying things like I hope you know what you are getting into. I am begining to feel like she is am enemy of sorts. How can I deal w/this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• She likely feels the same will happen with you. If you join the Catholic church you would be taught she is immoral; and going to burn in hell for eternity. As a mother; I'd be nervous and apprehensive if I knew that's how my children were going to be told to view me.

Try reaching out to her with some compassion. Tell her while you don't believe as she does; you respect her decisions and her as your mother (unless there are other issues you've left out) and your joining any religion will not change the love you feel for her. That could assuage her worries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Becoming a believer in Jesus is not a bad thing, maybe your mom had bad experiences with others who claimed to be Christian. My mother in law had that happen to her, and she did not like anything to do with people who are Christians. I don't know your mom obviously, but maybe she is just voicing her concern from what she may have gone through?
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 8:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You are now a married woman and should be able to decide what you want for your family and your life. She chose this path so you need to choose yours. Whatever you decide it won't change anything about how you feel for her she will always be your mom and let her know that all you need right now is support from her instead of her bringing you down. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• She may feel like you are going to change and start treating her different. It's odd that she is saying that though, because most pagans (myself included) believe that a persons path is their decision. She just may be worried about some of the things that the Catholic church teaches changing your view of her. Most Catholics view Pagans as evil and/or decieved by the devil. That brings about alot of hostility and sometimes even violence. She may be concerned about that.
    The best advice I can give you is try to let her know that, even if you do choose to stay with Catholicism, you will still love and respect your mother.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You are a free woman you can do what you feel like doing. If you want to be Christian or anything else that's your decision, she is trying to influence you and push her views and decisions onto you and that's just not right.

Whatever choice you make I wouldn't rub it in her face and she shouldn't her views either, I would have a mutual understanding that religion isn't to be discussed between the two of you.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I can't tell you exactly what you mom is thinking. But as a Pagan mother, I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on my kids. At the same time my DH is "christian" and so is most of my family. I hope that my children choose a Pagan path and it does worry me that they could choose a Christian path simply because I see it as very misleading. I was brought up Christian, and even as a child I didn't feel like it was a good path for me and I don't believe it would be a good path for them. BUT, should they choose a Christian path I would do my best to respect their choice. I would still be worried, not because of what they will think of me, but because I believe they are being mislead. Chances are that's where your mom is coming from. It seems to me that just from what you said it's hard for you to understand HER beliefs - chances are that's a two way road!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• She may be thinking of all the guilt that a Christian based religion heaps on it's followers. Remember, she has been there, don't that. It's natural for her to worry about you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• From what I read from your post both you AND your Mother have worries over the others religion. Your Mom is more than likely worried about what the religion will have you believing about her. Will you turn your back on her as the Bible says? Will you try to push your beliefs on her? How will you be after church? Will you keep her from your child ? All kinds of concerns are going through her mind right now. Just talk to her and reassure her that you will always love and respect her. That you will not preach to her or feel that she is a bad person. Also let her know that YOU do not want to be made to feel bad for your choices and the same goes for you. Do not make your Mom feel bad for her choice either. Good Luck to your family. Be happy
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• **done that** (i meant done that - ohhps)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well, first she's only an "enemy" if you want her to be.

She's a concerned parent thats all. Just remind her of your age and ability to reason and thank her for her concern but its not necessary.

Her path is her path, your path is yours and thats where it needs to end. Just nicely remind her of that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009