My 18 month-old can write his own name, cuts his food with a knife, can read street signs, just finished the first Harry Potter book on his own, published his second novel, and is the youngest person ever to be invited to join Mensa. Is this normal?

Why do some ladies on here feel the need to lie about their children's development and accomplishements? Aren't your kids special enough without having to try to top everyone? Just love your babies ladies and stop trying to be #1!!!!

Have you noticed that some people seem to lie about what their LOs can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's something that goes on regardless. If nothing else, use it for a good laugh! I like the part about him cutting his own food with a knife!

You could start a Blog about BS you've read about childrens' accomplishments!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would say good for him, but yes I know what you mean some woman tend to brag alittle and I totally agree with what you are saying but sometimes you just have to brag I guess if I were in them shoes I would have to let it out too....lol But some mom's do over do it like your example. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• ha I read the top part and my first thought was BS! haha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Hm...
    First of all- your post made me giggle! Thanks!
    Second- I know what you're talking about. I've seen people go overboard with this. Buuuutttt.... I know I like to brag on my babies, too. And I'd rather do it here on CM than with my mommy friends and acquaintances, because I'd hate for anyone to feel like I think my kids are better than theirs, or smarter, etc...
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is totally normal behavior to brag about ones own children, who else would? take it in stride, no need to let it upset you, your 18 month old is awesome!!!!

Answer by older at 9:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• OP here- ITA about bragging, and if the kid really is doing the stuff they say then I think that's great! We should be proud of our babies, they're AMAZING!

But some people are CLEARLY lying/exaggerating and I think that's sad. Just be proud of what your kid CAN do and don't make it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• im going to have to look for these super exaggerated posts. im not on a lot so i havent seen any. what kind of bragging are you talking about though?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You never know when someone is lying honestly
    People say I am lying that my son was walking at 7 months and running by 10 months.
    He was also holding a small converstation with you by 1.
    It is all true but people say I am lying.
    They also dont believe that he is 5 years old nad 4 ft 6 and to avanced for kindergarden.
    I do know what you mean tho by the very obviously fake ones. But you do never know when some one is lying.
    The thing that gets me is when people get upset that their child isnt doing exactly what others are and they want to push their kid.
    Kids grow at different levels I wish people understood this.

Oh and your post made me laugh and think BS too LOL
    Thanks for that morning giggle.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• That doesn't sound believable, at all, and I wouldn't believe it, and some moms are just crazy and do over exaggerate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You should take pride in your children and their achievements. If you don't brag on them, who will???
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2009