Is it awful of me to want to put my child in full time care?

My younger sons are in preschool two days a week. Aidan behaves wonderfully in school but when he is home he is extremely difficult. I can not get ANYTHING done in the house. He is an opportunist and if i just go to the bathroom by the time i get out he has gotten into at least 3 things that he is not supposed to do. my house never gets clean while they are home and nap time is always a giant struggle.
By the time my husband gets home i just want to leave the house to get away, even if it is just driving around for a couple hours. I want to put Aidan in school full time to keep him occupied but my husband thinks I am just being lazy. He spends saturdays with them doing all kinds of activities and says they are fine yet I see him get agitated alot with them. Am I wrong for wanting to put him into school full time? In addition he is behind the other kids because he is only there 2 days.

jenbarnes

Asked by jenbarnes at 9:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think your son is bored. Sounds to me as though he isn't finding any challenge or interest being at home all day. I think it would be a good idea to put him into school all day. He would probably enjoy it and come home in a better mood. Like a PP said, it will probably help you out more as well. You can get more stuff done around the house, have more time for yourself, which will help you become a better parent. Just in that you have more time to relax and do what needs to be done. As for your husband .. Men just don't understand. Weekends with the kids just doesn't highlight what you put up with all week. I'd kick him for saying "You're just being lazy".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• no, its not wrong. Its good for kids that have lots of energy. It keeps them occupied and helps them with their social skills..not wrong at all.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No you will not be a bad mom if I were you do it that way you can plan out your day without him only until you straighten up the house do it all week if you want or half a week whatever suits you before you know it you will be missing him and maybe let him take a day off from child care. Just work with it around your schedule. Alot of mommies go through this so don't even feel guilty. GL
    All will turn out just fine :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No its not wrong, it will be fun for him Im sure
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No, it's not a bad idea. But you may want to take a look at the things you are doing at home with him. If he's acting up he may be asking for attention or know he can get away with it. :) I think day care is great! It's amazing what my daughter has learned that I never would have thought to teach her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• He'd probably really enjoy it! That way it'll make you a better parent if you can get the stuff done you need to get done, and be happy with him when he's home. Plus, you can always have days where you play hooky and go to the zoo or aquarium. My daughter will be almost 4 and I'll have an almost 1 year old when I put them in full time daycare. My husband's deploying and I'll be working, I know it will make us happier and I'll be a lot more sane and patient with my kids if I can get breaks away from them. It'll make that year lond deployment soooo much easier!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No, it's not wrong at all. He obviously needs the structure and socialization that will help him learn how to behave appropriately. It doesn't mean you are doing something wrong, just that he is a child that needs lots of structure and most day cares and preschools are pretty structured. He sounds like he loves being at preschool and daycare. Go for it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009