First Mammograms, Now Pap Smears?

This is crazy. My sister and my first cousin both had cervical cancer that was caught in routine pap smears. Both of them had smears done yearly. Both of them had a clear smear one year and cancer the next. So, you will never convince me that we don't need a pap smear every year.

And with the mammograms, imagine how many lives would be lost if women had not been getting routine mammograms starting at age 40. They're telling us we don't need them until the age of 50. What about all of those women that got breast cancer in their 40's that was caught with their routine mammograms?

I've seen the mammogram question raised here before and liberal social healthcare supporters criticized women for questioning these sudden new guidelines by saying we aren't doctors. True. But what about the doctors that had the old guidelines in place for decades? The guidelines that have been saving lives.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 9:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Health

• It's all about money...I hate that it has come to this.

Doesn't anyone care anymore, How are we suppose to detect it if we now have to wait :(

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Im not sure what you mean, any clinic I know of recommends a yearly pap, you cant even get birth control in MN without having one done each year
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It's Obama's REFORM crap, and to me it sounds like POPULATION CONTROL and Communism. Not the Liberal's necessarily, Communism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• not cool b/c i 've had hpv since i was 18 and have had 2 colposcopies i have to get pap smears every 3 months its insane
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• my 35 yr old aunt just battled breast cancer and my grandma died of ovarian/cervical cancer at 47....i have a very high risk family history i don't know why they would do this
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 9:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• you really can't see what they are doing. think about it.
    what age do you retire? around your 50s. if you are no longer working, you are no longer contributing to society. SO if you have breast cancer prior to 50, they won't find it bc they won't do yearlies, and they won't have to pay for it. IF its found AFTER 50, well... "looks like you have stage four. we can give you pain pills as you slowly die. whats the point of burdening your family with chemo?"
    OR (my other idea )
    prior to 50, you could still potentially get married, have 2 kids, and thus contribute to society. to do this... you need boobs to attract a man. IF they don't find the cancer, they don't have to remove it, thus they don't have to cut your boobs off and pay for your fake boobs so that you have self-esteem,a man, have kids, contribute. yada yada
    BUT after 50. you have no need to have those boobs. so we can find the cancer, cut the tot's off, leave it there
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Okay, first of all, the new guidelines are for women who have **NO** PERSONAL **OR** FAMILY history of reproductive cancerous or pre cancerous conditions.
    I waffle anyway on the issue of yearly pap smears. I'm not entirely convinced I personally need one every year but with a couple incidences of reproductive cancer in my family tree, I'm not sure it's wise to skip them either.
    As far as mamograms, I believe the researchers were examining the balance between yearly exposure to radiation (which can **cause** cancer) and the effectiveness of the exam at catching cancer. The lest publicized part of the study is where they say women with a family screening continue to need earlier and more frequent exams.
    They've been working on this study for five years - it just so happens that the results are coming out now during the current health care debate but this has been in the works for quite awhile.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oops, that should read "women with a family history continue to need . . . "
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I really think they are harming the female population by coming out with these new statistics. They are trying to save money for when this Obamacare takes place, he claimed we weren't going to have death panels but it looks more and more like he is trying to harm American women by allowing cancer to grow and spread to a point where it can't be treated back into remission.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I went to my gyno yesterday and he said he is very upset about this. The day this was announced he had 10 cancellations that day because women were scared. My DR said no matter what they say, he will still continue to practice as he does suggesting mammograms at 40 and paps every year from age 16 on. My DR announced he is building and opening a new clinic next to his current office where women can get mammograms, surgery suite, and cancer treatment. He is buying all the equipment and supplying the nurses, so he doesn't have to deal with the insurance companies.

My DR is very old fashioned and knows majority of his patients with breast cancer or cancerous masses are 35-45 and he said the "average" age of his patients with cervical, uterine or ovarian cancer is 28.

It's scary. I'm only 26 and I get mammograms because I had a complete hysterectomy. Boobs are all I have left.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009