I'm having trouble deciding about whether to get the swine flu vac for my kids...

I'm nervous because it hasn't been around and I don't know what could happen down the road because of them taking it, i also don't want them to get the swine flu. Can Anyone help me make up my mind please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i got my 6 month old the vaccine because my brother had it and he ended up in the hospital usually my mom is against vaccines because my bro has autism but she told me to get it because she said theres no way a baby could survive this its horrible.....in the end its your choice though. i was just doing what i think is best for my baby
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 9:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The H1N1 right? I havent heard it called the swine flu since it came out lol I love that name! :) I personally am not getting it for my kids
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i am not getting it for my. She is fully vaccinated for everything else but I dont trust this one b/c it has not been around long enough yet. My daughter is usually really healthy. My pregnant friend and all 4 of her kids (the youngest was only 10 months) had the swine flu about a month ago. They were really sick for about a week but nobody had to be hospitalized.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Me and my kids got it a month ago. I was 8 months pregnant at the time. My kids are 3 years old and 18 months old. We were all 3 in the high risk category and our doctors wanted us to get the vaccine. None of us had any side effects at all. We all had the shot version.

The controversy around the vaccine started because of the way they went about creating it. They made 5 versions of the vaccine and tested each one. One of the 5 was a live vaccine and it had a few problems in testing. The vaccine they have released to the public is made the exact same way as the seasonal flu vaccine is; it simply has the H1N1 virus plugged in instead of the standard flu strains. In the beginning, doctors weren't sure if the vaccine would be as effective if it were made just like the seasonal flu shot, but it has been quite effective and safe.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• sweet lilmama...I didn't think anyone under 2 years old could get the H1N1 vaccine. Are you sure it is the H1N1 she got or the regular flu shot?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I have a cousin in ICU on a ventilator and coma with H1N1 and pnuemonia right now! He didn't get the vaccine. After seeing what he is going through...and probably not going to make it...I chose to have my kids vaccinated! They are also considered high risk due to asthma.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I was going to get it for my daughter but they don't have the shot. SHe's 2 1/2 so could get the mist but isn't able to inhale it like she needs to so the mist would be a waste. I got the mist, though. Just waiting fot the pedi to get the shot it. I'm kinda to a point where I"m tired of calling and just want to say screw it. She's got the flu shot, that should help some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Under two can get the vaccine. They can't get the flumist.

The vaccine for swine flu is just the seasonal vaccine adapted for the specific virus. It's not this totally new thing people are trying to make it out to be.
    Anonymous

• DH, myself and DD (26 months) got the mist version. DD has to get her second dose in a couple of weeks. I think the only side effect that I maybe had was some nasal passage irritation, but that could have been a cold since everyone seems to have colds these days. It wasn't a big deal and we are all fine. SS got the shot and he had no side effects. He may have already had H1N1, but we were not taking any more chances with a baby less than 3 months in our home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We debated, debated, and debated this issue. I did tons of research... and in the end got the vaccine for my son.
    I'm a pediatrics nurse and I am able to talk to many pediatricians... most but not all said they were getting the vaccine for their family. But they did all say that the vaccine is made the same as the regular flu vaccine and had the virus been known about earlier it would have been a part of the regular seasonal vaccine that they give each year. The only reason it's a separate shot is because the vaccine had already been "formulated" or whatever it is that they do. One doctor put it this way... this shot is BETTER than the seasonal flu shot because for the first time it's for a specific strain.... for the seasonal shot it's always a guessing game. SO if you in the past are willing to get the regular shot then this one should be just as safe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009