What would you do?

I have no particular faith/religion. I was raised a 'secular christian' ie: we never went to Church or anything; but we celebrated christmas & easter etc...

After a bad experience w/ some wretched neighbors; my Mother decided to begin attending church; which in her words is just one step away from being Catholic.

She asked if she could take my 4yr old with her sometimes & I said yes, providing there was no hellfire & brimstone type talk going on. She said of course not; so ok fine whatever; I don't want to go, but if she's good and enjoys the time with her grandma; ok whatever.

Cont'd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well it went from just going to service with grandma to she's been attending the Sunday School instead. This makes me a little more uneasy but she seems to be enjoying it. NOW I find out if your child goes to SS you are supposed to volunteer to be a room mom like 1xmo. And Mom signed herself up for this week; but is pushing for me to come & do it instead so she doesn't have to miss service.

I feel like this isn't what I 'signed up' for. I mean; she knows this isn't my thing. She knows I have no desire to be there. WHY would she do this and then expect me to just step in. Am I being un-reasonable? What would you do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• say no. if you don't have the faith to teach the kids what the leaders of the church expect them to hear, then it makes sense that they wouldn't want or ask you to do it. she signed up for it,, she can do it.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• sounds like this is her way of trying to get you involved. I would say no. Tell her that your daughter is going with her and she can be the room mom.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• your not being un-reasonable, i wouldn't go either...i personally wouldn'thave let my kid go at all unless they asked to go...as far as the room mom thing, i would tell your mom it was her that put her in the class so its her that needs to be the room mom lol

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Heck no your not being un-reasonable... this is her "thing", she needs to be the one to follow thru!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Id say no thank you.
    I would remind her this is an occasional thing and not ever intended to be permanent and all that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• How about a compromise. Your daughter enjoys being there, and your mom wants to attend service. So tell your mom you will do one Sunday but you are not going to commit to it. Then go and see if you like it. If not then it's your mom's responsibility.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You are not being unreasonable & it sounds like your mother is trying to get you into church through the back door (I hope not though). I would firmly say that since she is taking my daughter she must fulfill the responsibilities that go along with it. I would also look into what your daughter is learning in SS so you can discuss it with her after church each week. That way if she is confused, or you simply want to explain to her that this is only one interpretation of life, you can clear things up for her.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree with most everyone here. Not only would I say no, but I wouldn't be real comfortable with my child attending a church service or Sunday School class w/o me knowing specifically what she was being taught & in what way.

You never know -- are they teaching her cute stories about Noah's Ark or are they teaching her that trick-or-treating sends you to Hell? Are they teaching her that "Jesus loves us, every one" or are they teaching her "Jesus loves us, every one, but you're going to rot in hell if you're gay or marry outside your race"?

Those are the types of things being taught in VBS to a group of kids we used to have playgroup with. When my son expressed that he didn't believe in God, they turned on him FAST! Bullied up on him on his 7th birthday & told him all about how he was going to burn in hell.... then refused to play with any of my kids any more. And the parents? They supported that behavior.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well I hope the church just wants these moms to pass out juice and take kids to the bathroom because clearly you aren't qualified to run a class. You might want to go and meet a few moms there. If not either your mom can do it or the church will just rotate the actual mom members. Churches always need more volunteers but they will never turn your daughter away just because you aren't doing the helper thing.
    Anonymous