What is the best shampoo for oily dandruff?

I have really bad oily dandruff and have tried a bunch of different shampoos but i'm not sure if they are the wrong kind (meant for dry dandruff) or what but I've not had any results.

I really want to find something that works b/c my scalp itches and even after washing it still feels dirty. Also my hair has thinned a bit so I'd like to find something that works before it gets too bad.

Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• selsin blue
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Do Head and Shouldedr's every other day, the other days use whatever shampoo you normally use, if not head and shoulder's do pert plus.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Wen! Its the best stuff in the world!!! I will never ever use any other shampoo I order mine off QVC
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Find a shampoo that has no sodium laural sulfate (SLS) in it. It's a petroleum based product that makes shampoo foam and some people, myself included, are sensitive to it.
    I used to have the worst oily, itchy dandruff and it always seemed like my scalp felt worse after shampooing than it did before. Someone happened to mention sensitivity to SLS and after years of buying the cheapest shampoo I could find, I decided to see if SLS sensitivity was the root of my troubles.
    In my case, I went without shampoo for the better part of a year first. Cleaned my hair with baking soda and vinegar. Now that my hair and scalp are healthy, I pay through the nose for "organic," "all natural," "chemical free" shampoo. No itchies, no dandruff, no excess oil. I'm not a green freak but apparently my scalp is!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes try a shampoo that works with dandruff or do what I do if your hair is thin bc mine is too.

Wash your hair gently don't scrub just a soft massage then rinse with cool water then apply conditioner but only to the ends then rinse with cool water then after your done damp dry it then apply moose (1 or 2 golf size) to your hair and roots let it air dry then you will see how beautiful healthy hair you have. DO NOT use hot water ever it will dry up your scalp and skin on cold days use luke warm but always rinse with cool water for your hair. GL At the moment I am using "Suave" products.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Funny that you said Wen I just watched an infomercial on it last night. There were a bunch of different kinds though I guess the cucumber is the right kind for my hair. Has anyone else tried it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I never knew that sls was petroleum based. I tried tea tree oil shampoo b/c a stylist recommended it but it didn't work either but it still had sls in it. I guess I'm going to try a shampoo that doesn't have that in it and hope that it works.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 9:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You may have better luck going "no poo". Make a paste with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It will take a couple of weeks for your head to adjust.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Head and Shoulders has always worked for me. They have different kinds for different types of hair now too. Use it for a couple of weeks before you toss it to the side. Hair doesn't respond to products right away, it takes time for the product to do it's job. Make sure to use it for a couple of weeks and then if nothing try another product. If it helps, and you don't already, try washing it everyday for a week. Make sure to scrub the product into your scalp, so that it really gets to the roots. Also, make sure to use as hot of water as you can handle (unless your pregnant), because the hot water opens the pours. That will help clean out the pours while you're washing your hair, reducing some of the oils.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If you think it is truly bad enough, call your doctor. My mom used to get really bad dandruff and she went into the doctor and asked about it. He gave her a prescription for these weird smelling shampoo but she's been dandruff free since using it.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:22 AM on Nov. 21, 2009