I'm so nervous.

So, I'm almost a week past my due date & this coming Monday, my OB will be setting an induction date. I seriously feel like this baby is not coming out - I had an NST on Wednesday & had one contraction, that I didn't even feel, in 20 minutes. I'm nervous about being induced. If you were overdue, how did your induction go?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 9:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was over due. They set my induction date for Feb 14th and I had him on my own Feb 13th. There is still a huge chance you will have him before.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Dont be nervous! When I was 18 I had my first child, they had to induce me, I had an epidural so I didnt feel a thing.. but what they used was a tool that looked like a citrus peeler and just broke the water manually. It was all fine!
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Don't mean to panic you, but my induction ended up in a cesection. Most of them do. I was 41 weeks! Good luck and congratulations!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• That's exactly why I am nervous, mamaada.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My induction was great, you go through labor, the doctor breaks your water which is a relief, then the labor is really intense at that point, then all that's left is the baby coming out. It's a relief and you'll be glad you were induced when it's all over. I didn't have any comlications, after my water broke I got an epidural about 20 minutes later and gave birth in about 1/2 hour, so glad it all happend at the hospital and not at home.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You do run more of a risk of it ending in a c-section, but I know a lot of women who have great and successful inductions. Don't worry and just take it one day at a time!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I was scheduled to be induced at 6:30am on the 10th day past my due date. My son was born at 6:28am on the 9th day past my due date!! I had zero signs of going into labor with him it just hit me all at once and he was born within 6 hours from when labor started. I know it's hard but hang in there...you will be holding your baby soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• 40 weeks is not the end all of due dates. Your due date is an estimate... it is the middle of a 4 week window. It is an average, meaning half of pregnancies last less than 40 weeks and half last longer than 40 weeks. The average gestation time is actually 41 weeks and 1 day. You aren't over due until 42 weeks.

What is your Bishop score?

[cont]
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am fully aware that pregnancy can last until 42 weeks, thank you. My doctor will not be scheduling an induction until I am at that point, as I said in my post. I do not know my bishop score, because my OB office does not do pelvic exams unless necessary. It will become necessary if baby doesn't arrive by 42 weeks & they go ahead with the scheduled induction. I was not complaining about me being past my due date, I was asking how others' inductions went, since it is a possiblity that I will get induced & I am nervous about it.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009