Anyone else annoyed by...

those "Your Baby Can Read!" (or whatever) infomercials? The one that shows BABIES (less than 2, sometimes less than 1) READING?

#1- I don't know how much I believe that.
#2 - WHY would you rush your child in such a manner? Why does your BABY need to read? Not saying you should sit back and not teach your child a thing, but SERIOUSLY?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Comprehending and understanding are on another level. If you want to teach your child some tricks at a young age these programs are great. But, to develop a life-long love of books and reading, my suggestion is simple. Spend quality time reading to your child. Bring books to life by exposing them to theatre, museums, zoos.. Extend books through art and music. Read food labels, menus, recipes, signs to help your child see that there is a relationship between letters and words. Soon they will develop an ability to read, comprehend, and most importantly enjoy reading.
    All five of my children love to read and all excell in school. At six, my youngest reads short chapter books all well above grade level. She was never drilled or pushed. She simply fell in love with words! This is the best way to develop a life-long love of reading.
    amazingmayzie

Answer by amazingmayzie at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You just asked this question... but no its not annoying, I dont see any reason anyone would be annoyed by it, Children learn the most from birth to age 5 years old. Whats wrong with spending time with your child and teaching them a skill at the same time? I have never used this program by my 2 year old tells me he wants it everytime it comes on the TV, I plan on getting it for my baby who is due in January.. then both kids can use it. If there having fun, your spending time with them and there learning well then theres nothing wrong or annoying about it
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 10:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree, and I keep running into people who think that they are legit as well. It's just classical conditioning plain and simple. Pavlov's Dog. You can teach your baby to drool when he hears a bell too! The best thing you can do for your child's literacy at that age is to teach them to love books by spending time reading to them and spending your free time reading to show them that you think it is a worth while activity.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My question is, does baby actually read, or is baby memorizing the image of the words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thank, you, beckcorc and anon! THOSE are my thoughts exactly! I don't believe they are actually READING.

And I just can't get the image out of my head of some mother watching this commercial and immediately picking up the phone, all the while thinking she's going to turn her child into some kind of geniius.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes, they bug me.
    All it really is is repetition with sights and sounds. You probably do that anyway without realizing it.

I dont want my kids reading by age 1, I think thats silly and makes the education process worse.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Not annoyed but amused by the parents who buy that crap.lol My son never went to daycare and I never bought any of the learning crap. My son and I played games, I read him stories and I talked to him all the time. He was speaking in full sentences very early and taught himself to read by 4 years old. He is gifted so he is going to do stuff early. He is in school and his teacher said he must have been in a great preschool program. Told her nope he was home with me. He was allowed to explore and experience things and learn through play. Helps we don't own a TV so his mind is not cluttered with lame shows claiming to be educational.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well, my eldest (8) has been reading since 2. He is autistic and he learned to read on his own. He has a 2 year old brother that is still struggling with colors and shapes who is NT. So I think it's possible for children that age to read, but not so sure it's natural...

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Parents are always in a rush for their kids to learn this and do that, you are right they should let them learn at their own pace and not hurry the process. Everything has its time and place.

Answer by older at 12:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yeah they can 'read' but can they identify letters and letter sounds... If not they they may be reading but they are not necessarily above any other child. They will still have to learn those things in school. they will still be on the same language development curve as all the other kids but with no ultimate goal (reading) so I wonder how that will affect there ability to catch onto it quickly?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009