Anyone else annoyed by...

those "Your Baby Can Read!" (or whatever) infomercials? The one that shows BABIES (less than 2, sometimes less than 1) READING?

#1- I don't know how much I believe that.
#2 - WHY would you rush your child in such a manner? Why does your BABY need to read? Not saying you should sit back and not teach your child a thing, but SERIOUSLY?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• So then what? They advance in the school system? Skip grades?

There are a few out there whom are in college at the age of 12 yrs of age or so, but they still have NO rights being underage. They cannot drive, get a real job ( child labor laws) in the big world., so they have to sit back and wait, which to me seems like a hinderance.

I think it is great children can read at an early age, but how many actually retain all they have learned?

Most children learn to sound out words and can find the word TURTLE or SOCCER BALL that is printed on cards, books. Unless of course it is just a photo of the object they are guessing at, which is simple once they know it.

Children should learn at their own pace, not be forced to learn more then age appropriate IMHO. When they ask for more knowledge, by all means help and encourage.

My child is 5 and pretty PC literate, all from watching me. He navigates better then I can now.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean, Im skeptical too. I look at it this way....spending quality time in that manner with your child is wonderful.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• From the time they are born until they are 4 its the time when they develop the most.My kid has it. I didnt buy it until he was 18 months old, but he loves it. He knows so many words now. If i put three cards down on the ground and ask him to pick out turtle he does it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No im not annoyed by that, why would I be? That is the time they learn and take in the most, I dont see anything wrong with helping your child learn! I want to get that program with my next child! I think its a great program and it does work, and is fun for the child!
    AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 9:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i'm sure that cost a lot of money. You can teach your child what a turtle is with a 2 dollar memory game
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No not annoying at all. Babies need stimulation, and that's a great way to get their braining working. We spend tons of money on all kinds of other things to expand our children's minds why can't that be a tool too? My son isn't even a year yet and he's can't read but we go through books and we pick out things like duck, ball, lion and blue. So I think it's possible to teach him to understand at this stage. I think their brains develop more quickly then their speech abilities so why not try everything you can to keep them interested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• LOL, I guess I'm the only one! Sorry, I just don't see a need to rush my child into something like reading. Granted, at 22 months, she's already doing a little of that, but that''s all on her own time - I'm not pushing anything.

I guess I just have it in my mind that some of the people purchasing this program are like "alright, kid, lets become a child prodigy!!"
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The babies are imitating, not reading. It is just another marketing ploy that appeals to ambitious overacheiving Moms. Let your baby develop at his own pace. That kind of money-making crap makes me so angry!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ugh I hate that thing! I agree, it's not really teaching children to read, they are just memorzing and learning to recgonize words. You get the same results by getting books and sitting down with your children and engaging them. No need spend so much money on something. Yes babies are like sponges at this age, and they have MILLIONS and millions and millions of nerons making connections and doing everything. BUT when they are toddlers their brains start pruning off some of those neruons. So unless this is something you are willing to do EVERY single day until they are old enough to really learn how to read, then it probably won't do any good.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't think it necessary. HOWEVER, my sister bought it and is using it with her two youngest. IT DOES WORK! So, if you want your children to learn to read early, I WOULD suggest this, as it is very good and works well.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009