Why do you choose to not celebrate Thanksgiving?

This is no way a bash. IRL I have never met a person who chose to not celebrate, I am a nosey person and was wondering. So why do you choose not to celebrate?

Philsgirl21

Asked by Philsgirl21 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have never met a person who chose to not celebrate...
    so why do you ask?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am just wondering, I have noticed a few people on CM say that they where not going to celebrate.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• we will not be havng a thanksgiving dinner, but a normal one. we cannot afford all the good stuff for a typical thanksgiving dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The only people I've met who didn't celebrate it were Natives who protested the "makeover" of the history of the Natives and the first Europeans. I use the day as a celebration of family and blessings and rememberance of those we've lost.
    karmalove

Answer by karmalove at 11:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We always do celebrate Thanksgiving. It really is not expensive...Turkey is less than a dollar a pound and we get a 12-13 pound turkey. Mshed potatoes, sweet potatoes,rolls,pumpkin pie...all home made, not bought at a store. Not expensive at all. We don't have any people who overeat (well, except for son-in-law..hehe) and it doesn't take a huge mount of food for us. Its an American tradition,people!!! And, we all eat the leftovers for a few days!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I hate traditional Thanksgiving food. My MIL insists on having it. I just sort of sit there & watch people eat. I would much rather just stay home but Dh wants us to spend the day together. I get the paper & plan what I am going to get the next day.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We don't celebrate the slaughter of innocent people. We do not believe the "story" being taught to people about the first Thanksgiving. I tend to agree with the people whose families were actually there and suffered.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I love the idea of a family coming together, and celebrating all they have to be thankful for. BUT I personally do not enjoy the way 'Thanksgiving' itself is portrayed. I dont like turning history into a giant lie to make everyone feel better.
    Gypsy-Eyed-Mom

Answer by Gypsy-Eyed-Mom at 11:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Dh and I will both be working, and of course we are working different shifts. So we are not celebrating by default :) I might get a small ham and do a nice little dinne with just me and him sunday or something though.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I celebrate it but I know plenty of people who don't because they are not american.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 12:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009