Why are the two most prevelant women's issues suddenly being "reported" as delayable?

First mammograms, now paps? I had my first mammo last month and have an annual every 6 months per dr orders due to a previous situation. I cherish my girly parts and I am sure you all do too! Two years seems like a long time between visits and checks.

Who are these reporters and why are they suddenly releasing these memos? I don't think they are related to the governmental health care debate--but I am interested in who is encouraging them. Could it be insurance companies? (These are the ones to distrust). Granted, these visits are unpleasant, but women in their 20's are often more sexually active and more prone to being exposed to a STD depending on individual behavior.

Here is the AP article link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_he_me/us_med_fewer_pap_smears

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 10:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a way for the insurance companies to get us. Think about it, you wait like you're told, then it's too late, and your costs sky rocket, or worse. I for one will continue breast exams, and will demand pap smears and anything else I have been getting. Each person is different, and what works for 1 person will kill another.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• These are government funded reports. The insurance companies aren't involved. Just think what type of impact~ reports like these may have on the 50+ government agencies that will be involved in every American's health care decisons if this Obama-Pelosi Care were to pass. Scary...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The govt swung back pretty hard and fast on the mamogram issue--now the doctors on the panel are backstepping. I understand the funding for the study may have had government connections, but they were not ordered by the government. Does that make sense? (My flu-y brain is muffled today).
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Even if these reports are "government funded" please don't think that big insurance money isn't involved. Big Insurance has big lobby funds and they use them actively and efficiently. Insurance money is being used to dictate health guidelines in this country.
    karmalove

Answer by karmalove at 10:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You don't think they swung back because they received pressure at a moment when Democrats and the President are trying to pass a massive health care reform? These reports scare people about the government being involved in their lives and possible health decisions.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is no longer "better to be safe than sorry" This is nothing more than the beginnings of rationing. It's all in the money. Might also be a bit of pay off to the insurance companies for behaving while Obama pushes through his agenda. When these things come out the insurance companies have the choice to change benefits offered. There is no standard there. You might find yourself paying more for a policy that pays for these things yearly in the future. Thanks Obama......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Link to watch a "Good Morning America" interview with -- a member of the task force, Dr. Timothy Wilt, who defended the panel's conclusions.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I saw the pap smear thing this morning. Let me tell you ladies that is a crock! My cousin was diagnosed with endrometriosis so severe she was sterile by the time she was 25. Pap smears should not be skipped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I do not believe it is any coincidence that this comes while the health care bill is awaitng a vote in senate..RATIONING
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Not at all anon.lady I knew was all of 32 or 33 yrs old she had something going on below and waited a year to get it checked ..by that time there was nothing that could be done she passed within 6 months a horrible death she looked about 80 or so when she passed.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2009