WHY IS IT THAT WHEN PEOPLE FIND OUT THAT YOUR A SINGLE MOM THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU HAVE THE H1N1

Denise86

Asked by Denise86 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry you feel that way. I have a husband but raised our kids by myself because of his obligations with work.

They learned everything from me and I've taken care of them and me when sick, he's never been around much at all.

Just make yourself feel better knowing you're not alone raising kids yourself. And anyone who comments other wise - there's hard a partner anywhere - married with a husband or a mom with a s o - whose partner has not had to travel extensively or work extra hours or a second job to make ends meet. Just comment back on that.

My kids are in their twenties plus a teen and they've turned out well because even though their father has rarely been around I always parented them. They were often without a father but never without a mom who took on the role of both mother and father.

You rock mom, stand tall be proud.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Are you a never married single mom, and divorced single mom or a widow? Each one gets a slightly different response and for different reasons. Remember that no matter how bad you have got it there is someone who has it worse. I understand your frustration, but the best thing you can do is make a few friends like yourself so you have that emotional safety net when you need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am a single mom never had anyone look at me oddly or make remarks. Maybe you are overly sensitive or overly self absorbed so you think everyone is staring or thinking about you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i dont look at single parents like they have the FLU
    gah why does everyon try to make the swine flu sound worse?
    It honestly is no worse then the hundereds of other strands out there

oh and sorry no pity party for you
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you have been treated badly out there in the real world and by the judgemental people here. The posters above me are just plain rude. I hope you all have to go through something just as hard as this mom, then maybe you will learn not to be so judgemental.

Op- I am sorry you have had this problem. I see you as a mom, doing the best in a hard time so no judgement here.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh boo hoo
    I have been a single mom of 4 since my husband left me when the oldest was 4 .
    They are now all teens and I dont expect a pity party from people.
    You want to talk struggle live how I lived. Fighting to feed my kids.
    I hate how single moms try to get pitty for being single.
    Anonymous

• I agree with teamquinn... There will always be judgmental people in this world, and the best we can do is ignore the the rude, ignorant, and sometimes cruel comments they make.

I was raised by my father alone.... He raised two daughters. I hold a lot of respect for single parents.
    I wouldn't say people look down on single parents... It's the ones that like to judge others that do
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I dunno. I remember feeling the need to explain that I was a widow so I would stop getting the "look." So, I know what you mean. Especially when I was in line using WIC or something. I felt like a leper! I have much respect for single mom's doing it on their own, it is tough!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I think there are so many single mom's out there now that there isn't much of a stigma anymore. I was a single mom for a period of about 3-4 years and occasionally someone would look at me "funny" but I really didn't feel it often.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I dunno around here were i live i get the 'you are a horrible mother' look when I say I work so I have no idea. People just suck.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009