Teething baby or something else??

My son is 5 months 1 week and 2 days old. He was up all night crying and uncomfortable. This morning he woke up with a runny nose a a temp of 99.7, he does this cough thing but i think its just from all the drool. Do you think he's just teething or do you think he could be getting sick?? either way what can I do to make him feel better.

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor always tells us that fevers and teething are not related. However, my daughter got a fever everytime she popped out a new tooth.

I would call the nurse line at your clinic and see if they want you to bring him in. If they say no, and in a day or two the symptoms are not better and there is still no tooth, I would bring him in.
    Karamae

Answer by Karamae at 10:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• was this a rectal temp?? 99.7 is a normal rectal temp, but runny noses are not usually related to teething... coughing and drooling is.. sounds like a cold AND teething. Poor baby. Humidifier, extra cuddling, have him chew on cold washcloth, try to keep his face and neck dry -- have him wear a bib.. Call the nurse if you want but without a higher fever I wouldn't risk taking him to the flu-infested dr. office.. If he's not better in a few days or gets a fever over 101 (rectal) I'd call them again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Definitely sounds like teething. Get some Hyland’s teething tabs and keep the freezer stocked with damp washcloths for gnawing.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I was about to ask the same thing about my 15 month old daughter whos teething, has a runny nose, and a fever of 101.8. , drooling like crazy and is chewing on everything in sight. I too was wondering if the runny nose and fever was due to teething??? Im assuming it is only because she didnt have a runny nose or fever before her molars started to pop through. Ill keep cking back in for more opinions. Thanks ladies!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 11:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2009