Pre-School punishment....i thought humiliation is not allowed

My son attends pre-school, and he told me that him and another child were poking each other, and as a punishment, they had to wear mittens on thier hands for awhile. Now I thought that is considered humiliation??? What do you ladies think? I didnt say anythign to the teacher yet, I was going to see if they did it to him again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mittens? Weird punishment, but I don't find it "humiliating" for a child to wear mittens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't think that is humiliating but it sure is creative. I would talk to the teacher and suggest time outs for future discipline and see if she would explain why she decided to go with the mittens. She might have an interesting reason.
    Karamae

Answer by Karamae at 10:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• When I was in second grade we had hall monitors that would walk beside you and if they saw you talk or get out of the line they told the teacher. The teacher let them pick your punishment they could chose from making you apologies are making you run around all the children making stupid noises. Thats humiliating,
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't really see how that is humiliating. It's not your typical punishment, it's definitely creative, but I don't think it is humiliating.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It doesn't seem humiliating to me. If my kid were poking people, I might do the same thing.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ooohh...that's a good one! I'm going to use that for my kids!
    Anonymous

• That's actually pretty creative, and I don't think it's humiliating. We always talk about removing the child from the situation, well, you can't remove their hands! Put mittens on them!
    Anonymous

• LOL I think thats a great idea!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• That is a great idea!! I will have to try that in my preschool class. That is not a humilating punishment. Screaming at the child, calling them names are examples of humilating punishments. Get over it, the teacher was being creative and maybe she found out that it works to keep kids from poking each other.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2009