Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter swallowed a rock!

Last sataurday my 2 1/2 year old daughter swallowed a rock! I called her Dr's office and they said to give it 3 days and if she hadn't passed it come in. So that 3rd day came and went and we went to the doc. They took an X-ray and sure enough there was a pretty big obtuse triangle shaped rock in her stomach. Unfortunatly it looks like it's stuck at the bottom of her stomach. They say there's a narrow opening from your stomach to your intestine and if it gets stuck anywhere this is where it while get stuck. They sent us home and said give it another 4 days and if not come back and they'll do another X-ray. If it hasn't moved they will go in with an ENDOSCOPE THROUGH HER MOUTH AND PULL IT OUT UP THROUGH HER ESOPHOGUS. Has anyone been through this with a young toddler? I'm panicking. Will they put her to sleep? Is that even safe for a child her age?Is she going to be in a lot of pain?I'm hoping she passes it before we get to that

 
ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 11:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 6 (99 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I had to have a scope (camera shoved down my throat) as an adult & they knocked me out for the procedure. I'm almost 100% sure they would not even think of letting at 2 year old stay awake through that. There is no way that would be safe because you wouldn't be able to keep your kid calm enough & still enough for them to do it. Even the most calm laid back child in the world would not sit still for something like that.
    TMayes

    Answer by TMayes at 2:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • If they do it like adults no she wont be put to sleep. Its uncomfortable because you have the thing shoved down your throat. After they get it out then her throat will be sore.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I have seen this sooo many times...hopefully she'll pass it...if not, theyll put her to sleep and pull it out. I know that must be scary, but im sure shell be fine. Have you ever seen that show on discovery health?" YOUR KID ATE WHAT?" So many things they eat...even 8-9 year olds...one kid ate a damn battery at 8 years old...and they pulled it out the way you discribed. only the battery had started to leak...and could have been very bad.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I'm pretty sure they put her to sleep. Not sure if its intravenously, or the gas...mine had gas at 18 mo...but they might not be able to use it since they need to use an endoscope. Im sure she'll do just fine either way
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I don't really know about people. I know about dogs. When they do that to a dog they put them under because you can't tell a dog to sit still and swallow. I would imagine with a toddler the same rules would apply. My guess would be at very least they will make her droopy with gas or a nasal spray. Try not to panic! Remember they do these procedures every day and know exactly what to do no matter what comes up. (pun intended) I'm sure she will be fine. Good luck and please do update us!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I would insist that they remove the rock NOW. I really can't tell you if they will put your child to sleep or not, that is a question you need to ask the doctor.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I haven't had this happen... but I am pretty sure they will either put her to sleep or they will sedate her, there is no way they would try that with a alert and frightened child.
    I don't think that she will be in any pain from the procedure. Maybe a little sore throat, but I'm sure Tylenol would be good enough.
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • She will be sedated. Whether it's completely or not, I don't know. But she has to be still while they do the procedure, so they have to give her something. I know it's scary. My oldest had so many MRI's when he was very young. He was sedated every time. I had a horrible time with it. But he came out ok. I'm surprised they are waiting so long to get that rock out. I think actually, I'd rather they go in and get it, before it has a chance to get stuck. Then it will be even more traumatic. And pooping it out? Good luck with that! She will be in bad pain. Maybe you can persuade them into getting it now?
    Raine2001

    Answer by Raine2001 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • Update.. Naudia is doing great. We went in tuesday and got the procedure done. I took the Dr. an hour to get the rock out because it was so smooth he couldn't get ahold of it. She was real scared when she woke up but after I held her she calmed down. I was so nervous! I hate the fact that they put IV's in them and forget to check them. I kept asking them to take it out because her blood was backing up the line. Took them another 30 min before they took it out . anyway got to get back to my turkey! Thanks for the concern ladies Happy Thanksgiving!
    ainstalshia

    Answer by ainstalshia at 11:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN