Canada's New Citizenship Guide on Honor Killings

What do you think of the following quote taken from Canada's new guide for immigrants?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2216251

"In Canada, men and women are equal under the law," the document says. "Canada's openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, ‘honour killings,' female genital mutilation or other gender-based violence. Those guilty of these crimes are severely punished under Canada's criminal laws."

There have been several honor related crimes in Canada recently.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder how the punishment under Canada's criminal laws will be carried out, then I can give my opinion. The quote is nice, but they are only words until they bring about actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I can agree with that. It is their country, after all; and Canada's laws do have to be followed. I suppose it would be the same way if the situations were reversed. People who follow laws of honour killings and whatnot, would be declaring them as their laws in their land, and it is to be followed, or else.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Live by the laws of the land or move
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Live by the laws of the land or move.

Kind of hard for women in muslim nations to do that. They are not humans just their parents or husbands property. So if a womans husband is tired of her he can accuse her of adultery and she can be killed. They believe men over women. Hard to live by the laws when you can be accused of anything as a woman and be legally beaten, raped and killed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Nobody has a problem with Canada calling other people's cultures barbaric? That's a pretty big judgment. Shouldn't they be tolerant and accepting of other people's cultures?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• how did this become a Muslim bashing post ANON... goodness.. now where did it mention muslims. I suppose you dont know about the millions of women killed world wide by NON MUSLIM people. honor killings happen in AMERICA every day when men and women take it upon themselve to kill thier ex's, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends... because of PRIDE and anger. so please stop bashing Muslims. handle your own problems within your people.. there is plenty of it to solve.

anyway.. Canada has a right to institute it's laws and implement them on anyone who breaks them.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Live by the laws of the land or move

How can a CHILD move in order escape genital mutilation?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I didn't realize Americans were killing their family member for changing religions or marrying someone of a different faith.

There is a difference between the OP's honor killing and the anger/hate type killing you describe. A man murdering his girlfriend because she dumps him isn't done to RESTORE his honor. It is done because he is pissed. That doesn't make it right it does make it different.
    Anonymous

• Kids don't have a choice but the adults do. You must follow the law or suffer the consequences

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I wish the U.S. would adopt the same law.

I didn't have a problem with them calling the practices "barbaric" because they ARE!  Nobody should "tolerate" anyone being abused.

Anonymous