Is it okay to supplement formula while breastfeeding ?

My fiance and I go out one to two times a month for dinner and a movie and were gone usually for 5to 6 hrs sometimes shorter. While we are gone if i only have 1 bottle of breastmilk us it okay to leave a couple of formula bottles?

Scarlettsmom3

Asked by Scarlettsmom3 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I would say it i. Just make sure you pump either before or after, to keep up with your milkflow, or it will quickly start to go down.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Of course it is fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes, fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• How old is baby? The younger they are, the more important for them to be exclusively breastfed. Just one bottle can really mess with their digestive system (both in the short term with constipation and gas and in the long term by changing their gut flora), it can sensitize them to cows milk proteins, and diabetes, if there is a family suceptability.

The older they are, the more likely they don't really need the formula. All babies will make up for missed feedings at another time, but older babies are especially good at it.

So, I wouldn't personally... I work too hard to breastfeed my kids to go and screw it up with formula that's not really needed. It's completely up to you, though, it is your baby. Just be aware of the risks and ask yourself if there is really a need.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It's OK if YOU'RE OK with it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• yeah.

did it for all three.

just make sure you pump before or right after so you're comfortable.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree with Leanne. Formula shouldn't be used unless it needs to be. If you pump here and there regularly, I'm sure you'll have enough for date nights =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• since your going away for 5-6 hours once or twice a month, i suggest you pump, and give that to the sitter to feed, like someone said it could mess up your babies tummy for a lil bit till s/he gets used to it. but if your okay with that, by all means its very okay. many mothers do that,
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I did it for 3 months and its fine :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Not really. Formula upsets the baby's tummy, can contain icky bacteria, etc. If needed to prevent starvation it's fine... But for a night out, it doesn't really sound necessary. Follow the rule of "one ounce per hour". Breastfed babies only need one ounce per hour of separation. So if you're gone 8 hours, she'll need 8oz of breast milk. And if it's in the evening she might even be able to get away with less. ie: nurse immediately before you go out, she'll get a 6oz bottle (or less if she's younger), and then go to sleep.

What I always did was I woke up early in the morning and pumped and made sure that I had at least 25oz frozen at all times. Enough for 24 hours of separation. (A breastfed baby of any age needs 25oz of breast milk per day. The reason that it's one-ounce-per-hour-of-separation is that the baby will make up that 25th ounce while breastfeeding once baby and mom are back together
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009