23 month old with a cold.

She has a runny nose no cough no fever no sneezing just a runny nose. It's still kinda milky clear so I'm not worried about infection but I am pretty sure she is still to young for decongestants right? I think I remember them having to be 3 or 4 before they could have them. It's been a while since my son was 2 and this is really her first cold so I'm not sure. I didn't want to go to the pharmacy if there was nothing I could get so I thought I would ask here. I have saline and a bulb for now and of course lot's of tissues.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• There are some moms who won't give it to there kids ever. My son is 14 months old and just had the nastiest runny nose! NO cough or anything. Doc said it takes at least 10 days for it to go away. .. And it did and now its gone! I would not give her anything unless you think she is congested. But, that is my opinion!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I' just hate getting all that nasty crusted snot off of her face after she sleeps and her blowing it out and licking it before I can get to it is just gross. lol. Once my son was old enough he started getting it .
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I think over the counter decongestants start at age 3. Saline and bulb as you said are the way to go.
    Anonymous

• If she has a runny nose she doesn't need a decongestant since decongestants are for congestion, thick snot that won't run out. Benadryl, an antihistamine, is what drys up runny noses. It can make some kids sleepy. However, some kids may become hyper.

Here is what Dr. Sears says about Benadryl and dosage charts with dose by weight

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t088800.asp

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009