How do I get him to stop talking in school?

My kindergartner loves school, he started out doing very well. BUT, over the last few weeks he talks more and more in class. This week he's pulled 8 cards, I usually make him write sentences, I tried apology letters to the teacher, making him spend the entire night in his room, taking toys/tv/games away and I've even resorted to spanking him. NOTHING has stopped the talking. He behaves well in class, he just talks constantly. He does this at home too, talks nonstop, even when he's alone like in the shower.

What do I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was about to write the same question! My son gets it honestly: I have the "too talkative" comment on EVERY report card I ever received. However, I went to public school where the threshold for inappropriate behavior is a little higher. LOL! My third grader is in Catholic school, and this was an issue in Kindergarten and third grade. Kindergarten, I chalked it up to the teacher being brand new and not having a big bag of tricks for classroom management. This new teacher...? I don't know. As a former teacher, I try to keep it in perspective; but, I just realized she gives him no real consequence for his non-stop talking. So, I'll whip up a daily progress report for him to carry between school and home daily. Per her report, he is one of the brightest in the class and gets all of the work done. He is respectful and he gets along great (almost a little too great) with his peers. I'm glad just glad I'm not alone!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Lol, My step son is now 7 years old and just starting to get better. But, is not completely over talking in school..We did EVERYTHING down to taking all his toys away! I know it sounds awful! But, we have also been told that he could have Hyperactive add? Which makes it very hard for them to control there thoughts makes them speak out and makes it hard for them to pay attention. My sons kindergarten experience was very rough!! His teacher was very mean to him! She singled him out a lot because he would not stop talking! Honestly my doctor told me that if he is not being really angry and mean and its not affecting his school work then don't worry about it.. As parents the only we can do his continued to teach them right from wrong. As he gets older he will catch on. Make sure his teacher is not being to hard on him. We seriously had a really bad experience in Kindergarten! They expect to much of them!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• LOL Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver :) haha, Just kidding odviously! I dont know if theres anything you can do about "talking too much". Just tell him theres a time to talk out of place, when its not his turn he needs to zip it. As far as punishment goes, I dont know, he is only in Kindergarden! My son got into trouble once for talking (he too is in kindergarden) and the teacher moved him to the desk closes to her desk and he hasnt done it since and this was like the 2nd week of school LOL
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh mama!!! My son is the same way and he's in 3rd grade!! I have tried all the things you have done, sentences, apology notes to the teacher, grounding (my son is grounded right now for 4 notes home about excessive talking last week), I have no clue!!

Anonymous

• His kindergarten teacher put him ISS for talking when she was reading! I was really MAD I didn't even know a kindergarten could go to ISS! she would NEVER let him set on the carpet with the other kids while she was reading he had to sit in the back on the hard floor! She also would not let him do the crafts on thanksgiving and she told us we should not let him have a birthday party! I was so upset with her! What really ticked me off was when we showed up field day he was in the back of the line crying! She told him he could not have field day! She made him take his field day hat off and put it in his book bag! She looked at me like she could not believe that I showed up! I showed up with a waterbottle and snacks I had no idea that this was even happening! Make sure the teacher is trying different things with him. Just because the card pulling works for one kid does not mean its right for all of them..Sorry Touchy topic for me
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My 5 year old never stops talking either, but he is an angel at school. Good Luck
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My son has never pulled a card and he is in second grade. We talked to him on his first day of school and let him know he is to be behaved and we will not tolerate him misbehaving. He has to show respect to his teacher and his class to interrupt and speak out of turn is rude and shows a lack of manners. My son is a chatty kid talks so much at home but he never speaks out of turn at school. Work on his manners and maybe he will get there.
    Anonymous