Why must my 9 month old SCREAM for everything?

Since my son was 2 days old he has been a screamer and cried 24 hours a day.. 9 months later he still screams but more now- when he goes to sleep, when he wakes, when he is getting dressed or undressed, when he wants something, when something is taken away from him... what is the deal!

He is my first and ONLY and do not know what i am doing so wrong. He has a clean bill of health and besides teething why does he scream at everyyyyyyyyything.. and sometimes sound like godzilla when he doesn't get his way.

How did i create this? HELP :(

citykityk

Asked by citykityk at 12:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be because he knows this is how to get mom's attention, he sees your reaction when he screams. Try ignoring the scream next time he wants something, waiting until he calms down, then giving it to him.
    Anonymous

• i have sat in the other room countless times with the baby monitor on and all he does is SCREAM.. i am really worn out listening to this. Jesh...
    citykityk

Answer by citykityk at 12:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• For now, this is the only way that he can communicate. Do you have a friend, neighbor or family member you can trade child care with? It sounds like you need a break.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• He can't tell you, in words what he needs. So he screams to get it. Most babies do this.
    Anonymous

• thanks for the replies :)
    yes, i do need a brake. he drives me insane.. :(
    citykityk

Answer by citykityk at 2:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• He screams because he's a baby and that happens. My dd goes thru screaming phases every few months. Just stay calm, continue to only speak to him in low and calming tones. Don't react to the screams, that will just add fuel to the fire lol. Just take care of his needs and ignore screams that don't mean he needs immediate attention. It will eventually stop but I know it drives a person insane. I've been there too! You'll be fine. But like the PPs said, if you have a way to get a break, take one!!!!! lol
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• :) thank you "sadiesmom87"
    citykityk

Answer by citykityk at 5:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• its not that u created it because babies have one basic way to communicate..... SCREAMING/CRYING. my first was a screamer. when he was little, anytime he needed anything he would start crying or screaming. it is a phase and will pass when communication comes in. the best thing i can give you is to try to set up play tie with other kids so the child can learn non screaming interaction and try to give words. for example when there hungry say "eat?" or tired say "nunight" or "sleep?" it may seem silly at first but eventually they will start to atleast understand you. also routines routines routines. especially for sleep. do the same thing every time it gets close to bed time and they will start to get used to putting themselves to sleep
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009