Can you tell me why you are a Christian without giving me a canned Christianese response?

I want to hear a personal story as to why you believe in Jesus Christ, not "Because He is my Lord and Savior." If you are Christian we already know you feel that way. What brought you to Him? Why are you a Christian?

Something'sGottaGive

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Catholic but did not practice until about 10 years ago

About 10 years ago I was in a car crash. I was in the crash because my 2 year old daughter had somehow unbuckled her seat and was crawling around the back seat. I was telling her to buckle up and suddenly was hit by a huge truck. She was held by an angel against the back of the seat in a restraint. She didn't so much as have whiplash. The car was totaled, but she remained in one position the entire time.

A few years later at church. Jesus appear to me in the flesh. How can you NOT believe how you can NOT be Christian after those experiences

Now I know some of you won't believe my accounts but I was there so I would be the best authority on what really happened.
    Anonymous

• i can tell you why i am NOT a christian. because i studied many different forms of religion and i find that regaurdless of what you choose all it is for is to help you make moral decisions in life and if your morals are high i see no need for a religion.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:37

You answer gave me chills. This is what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing. Were you raised Catholic and were just out of practice?

SGG
    Anonymous

• i had lost my faith due to alot of problems, i grew up catholic. at one point in my life, i was very depressed and i cried basically everyday. i knew that i needed help,but didnt know how to get it. my niece who lived in another state and who i rarely speak with is a JW, at the time she was a teenager, she called me to say hi and i was really happy to hear her voice but never let on about my problems. a week later jw's were at my door and for the 1st time i actally opened the door, they told me that my niece called them and asked if they can come and check on me to see how i was because she thought she heard sadness in my voice. I really believe with all my heart that God heard my crying and through my niece, he helped me. At that moment my faith was restored.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• SGG, I was baptised Catholic at 2 weeks old I went to Catholic schools, Catholic brownie and girl scout troops, Catholic this and Catholic that. If it wasn't Catholic-I wasn't allowed to do it. We lived in the Bible belt and my parents wanted to make sure we had a Catholic influence. (and we did lol)

I met my protestant husband and we both just fell away from our religion. When we went through some major hard times my husband starting going to Mass with us and eventually converted.
    Anonymous

• SGG, is there a reason you ask? Do you have a personal story?
    Anonymous

• I watched the movie The Hidding Place about the life of Corrie Ten Boom(sp?). All the while I was thinking it was a great Hollywood depiction of what it must have been like to have lived through WWII. Then it got to the end and Corrie herself was up on the screen talking, and it suddenly hit me that the "story" was real and so was the God she believed in. I hope I didn't spoil it for you. I think most people knew it was real. I just happened to be a really dumb 14 yr old at the time. Several other things have happened since then, but that was the night I believed. Before that I thought religion was a scam so lazy men could work 1 hour a week telling you how to run your life and then pass the collection basket. (An idea I got from my parents.)
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:50, yes, I have several stories. I thought of this because it is hard for me to answer a lot of the questions that atheists and people of other faiths have. I have almost as many questions as they do, but I know that it's the God of Abraham that answered my prayers, so what I don't know I just put my trust and faith in Him that He knows what He's doing, lol! Sorry, but I can't really share my stories without potentially giving away my anon identity. Now, if you want to give me yours, lol, maybe I would consider PMing you. ;)

SGG
    Anonymous

• Oh, I meant to add, like the PP said.....After what I've been through and what I've experienced how could I NOT believe? That's the way I look at it.

SGG
    Anonymous

• I went to church as a little girl with my grandmother. My parents were big time drug users and partiers so they were glad for me to be gone. My grandmother died when I was 4 and my parents let me take the church bus all by myself every Sunday. I got myself up and dressed and went they never woke up. Church was my only safe place my entire life. I was physically, sexually and mentally abused everyday until I moved out at 15 to live with a couple in my church. My parents said good riddance as I left. I finally had peace everyday not just on Sundays and Wednesdays. The teachings of the Bible helped me get through my abuse and avoid the bitterness and anger. My new family formally adopted me at 16 my parents gladly gave up all custody. I grew in faith while living with them. I was about 10 when I gave my life to Jesus. I was not pressured just asked if I could. My faith saved my life.
    Anonymous